Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:22 AM   #21

If Oly DSLRs and glass didn't exist I would be using Nikon. But I don't think I would make a move on any newly introduced camera until I saw some professional reviews of it. Including the E-5.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

I certainly respect anyone's wishes to change systems for whatever reason it may be. My thinking has always been ; Life's too short get what you need to make you happy.

When you do pick up your D7000 I, for one, would appreciate your assessment of the D7000 and associated lenses as to how it compares to your previous Oly system.

If you feel uncomfortable posting your assessment on this forum, you can either send me a pm or post it on the Nikon DSLR forum and just send me a short note alerting me.

I would very much appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Zig
Will do. And we can always move this elsewhere if anyone objects.

I can tell you right now that there's two things I've noticed while deciding on the particular lenses and accessories I'll buy:
- It is hard to find comparable glass. The 14-54 is such a great lens, and this is one of the areas where I expect I will have to either spend a bit more or do with a little less. I am talking about IQ, of course. I'll talk about focusing speed once I get it in my hands.
- On the other hand, not being a small system has its advantages. Lots of fully compatible flashes for a lot less, for example (compare the sb-600 to the fl-36r, for example).

To make a sports analogy, olympus seems like that slow footed, unathletic QB that has a cannon for an arm. Or the slugger who is slow and can't play D on baseball but hits a home run every other at bat. If you need their particular strengths (in Oly's case, the glass), they are unbeatable, but if you don't, then it might be best to go another way.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpin View Post
Will do. And we can always move this elsewhere if anyone objects.

I can tell you right now that there's two things I've noticed while deciding on the particular lenses and accessories I'll buy:
- It is hard to find comparable glass. The 14-54 is such a great lens, and this is one of the areas where I expect I will have to either spend a bit more or do with a little less. I am talking about IQ, of course. I'll talk about focusing speed once I get it in my hands.
- On the other hand, not being a small system has its advantages. Lots of fully compatible flashes for a lot less, for example (compare the sb-600 to the fl-36r, for example).

To make a sports analogy, olympus seems like that slow footed, unathletic QB that has a cannon for an arm. Or the slugger who is slow and can't play D on baseball but hits a home run every other at bat. If you need their particular strengths (in Oly's case, the glass), they are unbeatable, but if you don't, then it might be best to go another way.

Hi,

Good analogy and therein lies the rub. I really appreciate my 12-60mm SWD and my 50-200mm ED lenses. Heck, even the 70-300mm is a fine lens. But there are other considerations to be made.

Life is full of compromises, but in the area of digital photography, as I've said life's too short. I may have to get something that will make me happier.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
If Oly DSLRs and glass didn't exist I would be using Nikon. But I don't think I would make a move on any newly introduced camera until I saw some professional reviews of it. Including the E-5.

Ted
I wholeheartedly agree. Until such time as a production version of the camera has been reviewed by people whose opinions I value, It's hard toget too cranked up about it.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 2:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
...I may have to get something that will make me happier.

Zig
Zig, I didn't think you were unhappy with your current rig. I can definitely understand being unhappy with the apparent decision to only release E-X upgrade(s?) and not the E-XX or E-XXX, but I didn't realize you were unhappy with what you have now.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Zig, I didn't think you were unhappy with your current rig. I can definitely understand being unhappy with the apparent decision to only release E-X upgrade(s?) and not the E-XX or E-XXX, but I didn't realize you were unhappy with what you have now.

Ted
Hi Ted,

For the most part, I'm rather satisfied with the overall performance of the system I currently have. If it weren't for the lenses I have, I'd have been gone long ago. And, I keep hoping that I can pick up a couple more. I really would like to have the 90-250mm and the 35-100mm which would round out my needs quite nicely.

BUT, it's when I start to shoot birds regularly that I really notice the shortcomings of my kit. And, even though, Olympus is missing a really important lens -in my mind- a 100-400mm zoom designed for birding it is really not the IQ of lenses that frustrate me but the AF system and , to a degree, the fly by wire focusing method found in many of the lenses. You add those two critical shortcomings together and the result is one frustrated user (me).

I've had the Nikon D90 in my hand a number of times in the last month as a good friend decided to get one. Lacking any practical experience, he asked if he could tag along with me when I went out to take photos. Invariably, we started to compare cameras. I used his- he used mine. And well, let's just say that I was stunned at the way the D90 locked onto a moving subject. With the D90, when I depressed the shutter half way, it locked on almost immediately, so fast I couldn't tell anything had happened. Now, when I try doing the same with the E-30, the subject was gone by the time the AF system finished racking the lens back and forth and focused.

Frankly, It p-ssed me off.

I still have enough of an investment as well as a love of my equipment that I may just pick up a Canon 40D with a 100-400mm lens for the times that I want to go birding and use the Oly for everything else.

But tomorrows another day and I may feel totally different.

Zig

Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:56 PM   #27

zig, you need to look at this sample of e-5 photos taken of birds in flight using C-AF.
http://fourthirds-user.com/2010/09/m...ge_samples.php
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
zig, you need to look at this sample of e-5 photos taken of birds in flight using C-AF.
http://fourthirds-user.com/2010/09/m...ge_samples.php
I don't thing that series means much. It was taken with the 12-60 and f5.6 which will have deep depth of field if that were an uncropped image. The fact he reffers to it being a "severe crop" and the building being as sharp as it is behind the bird leads me to believe its not a test of focus at all.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Oct 7, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:28 PM   #29

Hi Greg: I don't think that it was presented as a formal test, as it was a just a brief shoot with a production spec E-5 at Photokina. They only had the camera for a short period, and in other comments he noted that the C-AF seems improved over the E-3. I'm looking forward to a complete test.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:44 PM   #30

Hi Steven,
Thanks for the heads up. I'm off to take a look it.

Zig