Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:35 PM   #11

Hey Zig

THose are just superb!You know i think there's been quiet a few of us that have been contemplating which direction to go - do we stay and watch the $$$$ invested in glass just disappear if FT is truly abandend or switch to another system where you know that there's some guarntee that it will be around for quiet some time ? Do we go dual system etc ? Oly simply haven't made things any easier for themselves and in my opinion have left the majority of its DSLR user base high and dry but its when you pick up your cam and those ZD lenses that makes yourealise how good the glass is and give me the itch to get the 14-35F2! Being a logical chap that won't happen.. well may be not.. depends on the price.....

Zig, regards the E30's CAF have you checked with Greg what settings he's using on his E30 ? I know the Oly's are not going to be anywhere near as good as NIkon's AF system but I;ve aslways thought the E30 was a good step up from the E3.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Zig

You know i think there's been quiet a few of us that have been contemplating which direction to go - do we stay and watch the $$$$ invested in glass just disappear if FT is truly abandend or switch to another system where you know that there's some guarntee that it will be around for quiet some time ? Do we go dual system etc ? Oly simply haven't made things any easier for themselves and in my opinion have left the majority of its DSLR user base high and dry but its when you pick up your cam and those ZD lenses that makes yourealise how good the glass is and give me the itch to get the 14-35F2! Being a logical chap that won't happen.. well may be not.. depends on the price.....
Cheers

Harj
Hi Harj,

You've said it well as those are exactly my feelings on Olympus' direction- as we know it today.

I've always felt as if Oly users were the 'red headed stepchild' when it came to digital slr cameras. And, now with the E-5 release and subsequent lack of anything new in the way of less expensive dslr's, I have to ask myself if I'm too stupid or just too stubborn to see the handwriting.

Thank goodness I've got some good glass to go out and take pictures with. The lenses are really what's keeping me in the game these days.

Zig.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:49 PM   #13
Super Moderator

these are excellent bird shots. the detail and contrast/colors are all great, and are pleasing shots compositionally. definitely nothing lacking here, well done zig
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:54 PM   #14

A lot of us with significant investments in Oly and other 4/3 cameras and especially glass, have been through some soul searching lately.

It's easier for me than for a lot of you, because the E-3 body fits my hands really well so it is my favorite, therefore the E-5 looks good to me. But at 61 years old my view is maybe shorter than it would be if I were 50.

If I were 50 or younger I'd be very nervous right now especially if I had a lot of expensive 4/3 glass. And if my hands were different such that the E-3 didn't work for me I'd be really nervous. There's a really good possibility that Oly will make an pro-level 4/3 EVF camera work with the 4/3 glass. I believe thay want to but if the world economy doesn't turn around we Oly fans are hosed, I think.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 4:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
these are excellent bird shots. the detail and contrast/colors are all great, and are pleasing shots compositionally. definitely nothing lacking here, well done zig
Hi Dustin,
Very much appreciate your comments. Thanks

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 4:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
A lot of us with significant investments in Oly and other 4/3 cameras and especially glass, have been through some soul searching lately.

It's easier for me than for a lot of you, because the E-3 body fits my hands really well so it is my favorite, therefore the E-5 looks good to me. But at 61 years old my view is maybe shorter than it would be if I were 50.

If I were 50 or younger I'd be very nervous right now especially if I had a lot of expensive 4/3 glass. And if my hands were different such that the E-3 didn't work for me I'd be really nervous. There's a really good possibility that Oly will make an pro-level 4/3 EVF camera work with the 4/3 glass. I believe thay want to but if the world economy doesn't turn around we Oly fans are hosed, I think.
Ted,

I had no idea you were soooo OLD!

Come to think of it, I'm 61 yrs old too.

Zig

Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:27 PM   #17

They are very nice Zig, well done. I'm considering an upgrade from my E620 to the E30 thinking the better AF and larger viewfinder will be worth the extra $, and E30 are going for very good prices now.

Whenever I read too many threads about the demise of 4/3rds, all the negativity surrounding Olympus etc and I start to get that feeling of 'should I change to another system/hold off on investing in new gear etc' I just grab my existing Oly gear, go for a walk and take some photos. Once I see the results on my PC screen, it quickly eases those feelings of uncertainty and encourages me to ride it out and see what comes around the corner.

Cheers
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:22 PM   #18

Those shots are superb Zig. I do think you have found a great combination with that camera and lens. I think the person behind the camera probably makes as big a difference as how expensive the outfit is they are using. These shots show you don't need to spend 8000 on a camera and lense to get great shots.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by piXelatedEmpire View Post
They are very nice Zig, well done. I'm considering an upgrade from my E620 to the E30 thinking the better AF and larger viewfinder will be worth the extra $, and E30 are going for very good prices now.

Whenever I read too many threads about the demise of 4/3rds, all the negativity surrounding Olympus etc and I start to get that feeling of 'should I change to another system/hold off on investing in new gear etc' I just grab my existing Oly gear, go for a walk and take some photos. Once I see the results on my PC screen, it quickly eases those feelings of uncertainty and encourages me to ride it out and see what comes around the corner.

Cheers
Hi Adam,

Within the Olympus family of cameras, I can tell you that if you like the E-620, you will love the E-30's feature set. As mentioned, the viewfinder is larger and more comfortable to use. But moreover, the AF system is better than on the E-620.Dual control dials allow for easy and quick settings adjustment. I've set up my Fn button to toggle between S-AF and MF which is great for birding. The level feature is really a practical advantage. There are so many little features and improvements in design of the E-30 that really do make it a pleasure to use. I've gotta stop 'cause I'm sounding too much like a fanboy.

In many ways, what frustrates me the most is that now that Olympus has come so far in their improvements in High ISO, low light, sensor, DR, and alias filter & processor (E-5), they appear to be dropping the 43 DSLR line.

Zig

Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Those shots are superb Zig. I do think you have found a great combination with that camera and lens. I think the person behind the camera probably makes as big a difference as how expensive the outfit is they are using. These shots show you don't need to spend 8000 on a camera and lense to get great shots.
Eric
Hi Eric,
My head is getting larger as I sit here and read your very kind comments.

thank you.