Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:43 AM   #1

Default I like the 50-200mm lens w/ 5 images

All this talk about the E-5, changing camera systems, etc. has caused me to start to re-evaluate the equipment that I have and to seriously consider alternatives.

Then I put the 50-200mm ED lens on the E-30 and forget all the talk and start taking some pics. Yes, the AF system is still the same. Nothing has changed there. But, When I look at the results, I like what I see.

Took these 5 yesterday afternoon (Jay) and this morning(Goldfinch). The depth of field is not the fault of the camera. It's me just being too close causing a thin depth of field. But I rather like that look.
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:57 AM   #2

wow Zig, those are really amazing! my faves are 1,4 and 5...kinda hard to choose!
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=edge=- View Post
wow Zig, those are really amazing! my faves are 1,4 and 5...kinda hard to choose!
Hi Edge,

Thanks. I should have added that all the images were reduced in size to accommodate the web. They were not cropped, however.

And yes, 3 does have a bit of an unpleasant background-in my opinion. But, the clarity is still there.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:22 AM   #4

Those are very impressive zig. Looking at #1 gives the sensation of a bird sitting on your shoulder as the detail is outstanding!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:35 AM   #5

Hi Steven,
Never thought of it that way. but, now that you mention it it does look like that.

I think the first 2 images reinforce, in my mind, that the sensor and processor of the E-30 can certainly resolve the detail that the 50-200mm captures.

I only wish I had the 50-200mm SWD to compare against the ED version.

Zig

Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:46 AM   #6

They're all nice, but #1 is a really great portrait. The SWD version has nothing on the original for sharpness, the original is a faster lens because it stays an f2.8 longer than the SWD version and the original version does not have a hood the size of a soup bowl you have to account for when looking for a bag.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:48 AM   #7

Great shots zig.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:57 AM   #8

Hi John/Greg,

Thanks...........

Greg,
Your's is an interesting perspective as you've had the chance to use both.
I appreciate the feedback. It sort of eliminates the, grass is greener on the other side thinking that I have a tendency to adopt.

Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:35 AM   #9

Quote:
I appreciate the feedback. It sort of eliminates the, grass is greener on the other side thinking that I have a tendency to adopt.
I don't think that you're the only one here doing that.

Yes, I do think that Oly has let their fan base down with not keeping up with the Jones'. Especially if they think that some of us are stuck with a lot of their excellent lenses and will turn a blind eye at a lessor flagship model. At the moment it really doesn't affect me. My goal for next year is a combo just like the one you've used here. But in the future they're going to have to do something special to keep people with them and better yet attract newer followers. I don't see that with the E5

Wonderful examples of what you and your E30 camera/lens combo are capable of. I love those shots. Sharp and well composed.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:36 PM   #10

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. It is much appreciated.

Zig