Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 15, 2010, 5:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hey guys, just an observation. The technology has already been here, it's just the cost involved.
Steven, I agree that the potential is there. The question is whether Oly has the motivation to do the work to get the price down. Otherwise, I suspect that Greg is correct that this is deja moo*.

Ted

* deja moo: the feeling that you've heard this bull before...
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Steven, I agree that the potential is there. The question is whether Oly has the motivation to do the work to get the price down. Otherwise, I suspect that Greg is correct that this is deja moo*.

Ted

* deja moo: the feeling that you've heard this bull before...
Yes, absolutely, motivation and resources will be required, but eventually someone will do it. maybe Olympus, maybe not. But from public comments, Oly has so far discussed the EVF more than canikon, so at least the impression is that Oly is more committed to it than the big two.

Back in the old days when I was working on my MBA, I liked to study the history of business innovations. Often many potential advances were dismissed by the general community of an industry, until some company actually achieved it. (Frequently they had been working on it unannounced, because you don't want you tip your hand too soon to the competitors.)

I'm old enough to understand that when technology is the issue, don't bet against the solution being eventually found. And often times it is found sooner, rather than later.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Yes, absolutely, motivation and resources will be required, but eventually someone will do it. maybe Olympus, maybe not. But from public comments, Oly has so far discussed the EVF more than canikon, so at least the impression is that Oly is more committed to it than the big two.

Back in the old days when I was working on my MBA, I liked to study the history of business innovations. Often many potential advances were dismissed by the general community of an industry, until some company actually achieved it. (Frequently they had been working on it unannounced, because you don't want you tip your hand too soon to the competitors.)

I'm old enough to understand that when technology is the issue, don't bet against the solution being eventually found. And often times it is found sooner, rather than later.

I doubt olympus EVFs are developed in house. They may be adapted in house, but since the circuitry and the liquid crystal part of the vf-2 are the same as the in body evf of the gh1, they at least share the advancements.

And that is only part of the story regarding a true EVF replacement for slrs. On top of a good evf, you have to have a fast focusing system, a good electronic shutter, and good battery life. Canikon may lose out at the end for ignoring these advancements, but lets not underestimate how far we actually are from a camera with an EVF that actually replaces SLRs. To have all these things in place at a point where the difference between them and slrs become imperceptible will take a relatively long time.

And even then, in terms of an actual EVF replacement for SLRs, olympus is behind both panasonic and sony with the gh2 and a55 respectively, as they have better focusing systems already.

The future for olympus should be (and likely will be) focusing on the "smaller than a dslr, better than a compact" segment. The should pour all their R&D into that because that is the niche where they dominate.

I stopped by Atlanta's main seller of olympus cameras, Showcase. They sell all brands, but they are really big into olympus (the store's sign outside has a huge olympus logo). As I was preordering the d7000, I started talking with their sellers. No one has preordered the e-5 so far, and no one has even asked about it. They haven't sold an actual olympus dslr body in weeks. But the PENs are selling like hotcakes, they told me. In fact, the first thing you see when you walk in the store is their stack of PENs. When they dominate a niche like that, it is smarter business to defend that dominance than to play catch up with companies with a significantly larger R&D budget.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote