Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 9, 2010, 5:25 PM   #1

Default First real full review of the E5I'm

If you guys missed ljmac posted a link on dpr to the first real review of the E5:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=36575623

The actual review can be found here:

http://translate.google.com/translat...wtopic%3D16116

I've skimmed through the review quickly today as I have had lot on and not much time. On the whole the IQ is looking very good and including some portrait shots with the 35-100F2 was a very good idea of the reviewer. First thoughts at looking at the portraits was that they look just as good as any i've seen with the E3 + 35-100F2 - without know the camera settings I think they do look sharper and detailed but a side by side comparison with the E3 +35-100F2 with the same model would have been really useful. One thing that I did spot and everyone at dpr seemed to ignore is that two of the portraits are OOF - the side profile shot the focus is clearly on the hand/finger nails and not on the eyes, and with the other headshot the eyes are not in focus but the nose and lips are. Now the first shot where the focus is on the fingers/hands, I;ve seen my E3 do exactly that - I'm sure when he took that shot the focus point is on the eye but the camera's ended up focuing elsewhere. With the headshot, all I can think of there is that the model may have moved slightly and that's caused just her nose and lips to be in focus. Now I'm surprised that both OOF pics weren;t spotted on the new Hi-Res LCD or on computer after the pics were taken (I've made it a habit to take say 10 shots at the start of each look to check on the studios mac to make sure everything is aok before cracking on.). Lets hope that they have the AF sorted for this and that those two pics were (1) user error (2) model moving or (3) a potentially dodgy AF on a single camera. Note; That Chris_in_Osaka at dpr noted that the E5 he used on an Oly E5 Open day in Japan, aslo had a number of OOF images.

Right now, thats a pretty good review of the camera (surprised no mention of the AF system), so lets see what the other reviewers say.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2010, 6:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
If you guys missed ljmac posted a link on dpr to the first real review of the E5:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=36575623

The actual review can be found here:

http://translate.google.com/translat...wtopic%3D16116

I've skimmed through the review quickly today as I have had lot on and not much time. On the whole the IQ is looking very good and including some portrait shots with the 35-100F2 was a very good idea of the reviewer. First thoughts at looking at the portraits was that they look just as good as any i've seen with the E3 + 35-100F2 - without know the camera settings I think they do look sharper and detailed but a side by side comparison with the E3 +35-100F2 with the same model would have been really useful. One thing that I did spot and everyone at dpr seemed to ignore is that two of the portraits are OOF - the side profile shot the focus is clearly on the hand/finger nails and not on the eyes, and with the other headshot the eyes are not in focus but the nose and lips are. Now the first shot where the focus is on the fingers/hands, I;ve seen my E3 do exactly that - I'm sure when he took that shot the focus point is on the eye but the camera's ended up focuing elsewhere. With the headshot, all I can think of there is that the model may have moved slightly and that's caused just her nose and lips to be in focus. Now I'm surprised that both OOF pics weren;t spotted on the new Hi-Res LCD or on computer after the pics were taken (I've made it a habit to take say 10 shots at the start of each look to check on the studios mac to make sure everything is aok before cracking on.). Lets hope that they have the AF sorted for this and that those two pics were (1) user error (2) model moving or (3) a potentially dodgy AF on a single camera. Note; That Chris_in_Osaka at dpr noted that the E5 he used on an Oly E5 Open day in Japan, aslo had a number of OOF images.

Right now, thats a pretty good review of the camera (surprised no mention of the AF system), so lets see what the other reviewers say.

Cheers

Harj
On the autofocus, same speed as the e-3 and e30 for phase detect. For liveview the speed has been improved to about the Pen's level or performance.

The one that cought my attention was the ISO6400 with noise reduction "standard" as there is more detail there than I expected.

It will be a nice camera.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:29 PM   #3

Default Read the E-5 Review posted today on Steve's Digicams

Hi Guys,

Well, today Steve's Digicams published their full, hands on, review of the E-5.
Read it and enjoy.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:16 PM   #4

Hi Zig

Thanks for the headsup - I wasn't expecting Steve's or any of the other main review sites for a good few weeks so good to see that Steve's first of the block. I'm going to check it now.

Cheers

Harj
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:00 PM   #5

A pretty decent review ... but Id have liked to have seen some tests with a SHG lens (is there an increase in IQ/detail?), a comparison to see how well it fairs with its nearest competitors (7D/D300s) and the EP1 too. Also, it would have been good to have seen if the AF performance - esp CAF has been improved over the E30 or whether its the same?

Regards IQ - from the review I get the impression that its very similar to the EP1 which is slightly different from what the two other reviews so far have indicated/shown. Its good to see that there's been an improvement ISO 1600/3200 - that's a definite plus over the E3.I've had a close look at the ISO1600 wedding pics and those look good hardly any noise,skin tones look just right and no sign of moire. I'd have liked to have seen a raw file at high ISO 1600 PP'd to Jpeg using ACR/LR/Oly Studio etc to see if there's a chance of outputting an even better file. There's no mention of any IQ artefacts esp now that the E-5's has a much thinner AA filter over the E-3 . Does that mean none was found or does the True Pic V+ engine handle those really well ?

That's all for now....

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Oct 11, 2010 at 5:06 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Well, today Steve's Digicams published their full, hands on, review of the E-5.
Read it and enjoy.
Note this review was done with a pre-production model..

Quote:
We got our hands on a pre-production unit for about a week.
I found the review to be a little disappointing actually, no real meat to it at all.
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:53 AM   #7

Hi Pix

As it was a pre-prod camera, I think they should have held off until they had got a final production camera and then posted the review.

Regards the review itself, yeah i do know what you mean about the review not having much "meat to it" but thats always been the case with the reviews on Steve's. Personally I would like them to change the format so that it is a bit more in-depth and technical without looking to copy Dpr/IR/DCResource etc for the DSLR and high end cams. For the P&S's I think the current formats fine but for DSLR's I think it does need to change.

Changes I;d like to at least see with the reviews to give them more balance and depth :

* AF tests - esp CA-F for tracking and hit rate. Esp as the E-3 at release had the major AF issue and its CA-F is well on my E-3 "crap".
* More detailed IQ test - Low light test for high ISO,
* IQ comparison with nearest competitors
* More than one lens used for the sample pics or at least use one of the best lens available for the system,

I realise that would all add to the time taken to do the reviews but it would really improve them and help to make a more informed choice.

Like many others, I've always checked several review sites inc Steve's when making a decision.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Oct 12, 2010 at 7:13 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:18 AM   #8

When I posted the heads up, i knew that it was a preproduction model - probably should have informed people. But, it was the first review I'd seen from any reputable site.
My take was that, there will be little to any changes made between the test unit and the production models. Otherwise, I don't think Steve's would have published the review.

As for the camera itself, I like:

the layout of the back of the camera. clean uncluttered not many buttons

The on/off switch looks very sturdy. The one item I really dislike about the E-30. Mine feels very flimsy and feels as if I'm stressing it each time I switch the camera on.

NO MORE XD Card ! YAY. Should have been 2 compact flash cards.

All in all a clean looking camera body.

Concern

No mode dial. To change modes, you need to hold down the button then rotate the control wheel. Not sure about that one.

I'll be looking forward to hearing from the user community after the camera has been released, in the stores, and people have had a chance to use the E-5.

Only then, will I know if it will be worth an upgrade.
zig.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:09 AM   #9

Hi Zig

"When I posted the heads up, i knew that it was a preproduction model - probably should have informed people. But, it was the first review I'd seen from any reputable site.
My take was that, there will be little to any changes made between the test unit and the production models. Otherwise, I don't think Steve's would have published the review.
"

I'm glad you gave the heads up on the review and as you said it was the first review from any of the main sites. I did spot the preview but didn;t make anything of it and I agree that there's bound to be little change but then again you never know what issues may crop up at the last minute.

The button layout is a wee bit more clearer than the E3 and thats got to be a good thing. After nearly 2.5 years with the E3, I still prefer the switch and its location on the E1 which is simply perfect, while the E3/E5 is ok. I had assumed that the E30 would have used the same switch as the E3. I'm hoping that the LCD casing has been improved over the E3's - just too many cases of it coming apart for my liking although Oly UK when I spoke to them refused to acknowledge it as a design fault.

The mode dial, well I thought I would miss it from my E1 but to be fair I never have. I've just had the cam set to M from day one and its never moved from that setting and thinking about it, my E1 was set to M all the time as well.

I've always liked Steve's reviews but they're missing just that wee bit more detail for the DSLR's. I',

I'm planning on visiting the local Oly dealer when the E5 shows up and I'll see if I can take a few tests shots with it - I'll be taking my 35-100+E3 so i can do some side by side comparisons, esp with CAF. Might take a model with me to on the day too.

Cheers

Harj
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:44 AM   #10

Interesting enough, the E5 price is already starting to go down. I found it at $1599CND (http://www.donsphoto.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog[name]=Olympus-E-5-Dust-and-Splash-Proof-Digital-SLR-Camera---body-only-Digital-cameras&catalog[product_guids][0]=3bc53890-599f-41ca-809b-4ba9f3f03bfa) which is not bad at all... It is making me think a tidy bit about getting one ... and sell my E-520 to finance the new one...

Note:
$1599CND = ~$1593US = ~$1006GBP
folob is offline   Reply With Quote