Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:31 PM   #11

Very good set!!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:41 PM   #12

Love Bull snakes! Used to keep them as pets (although some were 4-5 ft in length). I found them to be not aggressive, but bad tempered until they are "tamed". I miss them, but since I don't live in west Texas anymore, I haven't seen a wild one in over 40 years. Where do you live?

My bad, I see you're in Oklahoma. I lived in Wichita Falls until high school.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Last edited by Hawgwild; Oct 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:51 PM   #13

thanks everyone, no need to be afraid though, they're well fed!

Robert I am located in Indiana actually, but the Big Female Bull is derived from a Stillwater Hypomelanistic bloodline, this is the only locale that these are known to be present...In Kingsville Texas the Bull Snakes are red in color and are sought after as well. My Stillwaters are both right about 7 foot and the albino's are around 6 foot at present. I purchased the snakes from a movie director/fellow herper. I field herp too, but haven't in some years. I like the whole Pituophis family, they are great bluffers and very rarely bite...they are smart too, which makes them interesting to keep.
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=edge=- View Post
thanks everyone, no need to be afraid though, they're well fed!

Robert I am located in Indiana actually, but the Big Female Bull is derived from a Stillwater Hypomelanistic bloodline, this is the only locale that these are known to be present...In Kingsville Texas the Bull Snakes are red in color and are sought after as well. My Stillwaters are both right about 7 foot and the albino's are around 6 foot at present. I purchased the snakes from a movie director/fellow herper. I field herp too, but haven't in some years. I like the whole Pituophis family, they are great bluffers and very rarely bite...they are smart too, which makes them interesting to keep.
WOW I never caught one 7 feet, but many 4-5. In the snake world (non-venomous), they are unique, and were always my favorite. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and post more, often! LOL

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:52 PM   #15

Wow, Edge. Your collection probably makes some public collections look pedestrian. Beautiful creatures shot at this magnification, and your exposures are excellent.

I'm assuming you don't flash these guys, right? Would seem not to be the right way to shoot them, but I've never had snakes at home to experiment with!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:44 PM   #16

I do use off camera lighting Greg, Nikon Speedlights; SB-24 and two SB-28's...these particular photos were shot using only one flash behind a 42" Westcott umbrella, which can be seen in some of the photos. I fire my flashes using Radio Popper JrX transmitters and a camera mounted transceiver...I converted 3 Nikon PC Sync to Hotshoe adapter (AS-15 I believe) cables so that they accept stereo mini-jacks and those plug into the Radio Popper units and the PC Sync plugs into the side of the flash...doing this I can set all flashes to manual and set each f/stop individually on the flashes from the Transceiver (there are three dials and I color coded each flash with each dial) Radio Popper now sells "the Cube" that took them way too long to engineer, it is based on the same principle as my cable and works off of the quench circuits of the Nikon Speedlights....I didn't want to wait so I have been using mine for well over a year. Olympus does not have a quench circuit on their flashes unfortunately, so the control of light output must be done on the flash itself...

These photos were shot in a room with ambient light and the flash was needed for stopping down to F8...a sharp aperture to work at with this lens for sure.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:18 PM   #17

Love them...great shots!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:57 PM   #18

here's a few more, these are of a yearling Coastal Carpet Python, found along the Eastern Coast of Australia, beautiful snakes, they are some nippy babies though and become hand tame once they reach a certain age (it's a natural defense to bite what is bigger than you!) This particular subspecies is the biggest of the Morelia genera. These shots were taken with the E-3 and 50mm f/2 combo using natural sunlight.

Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:23 PM   #19

Those eyes are even colder than the alligator eyes that I photograph. Brrrr! Gives one chills just looking at them.

Your photos are great, but I'm glad you are taking them, not me. I'm very content to take my photos from far away with a tele lens; forget about close ups!

Steve
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:05 AM   #20

Those are amazing edge! What a great collection of pets you have!
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote