Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:50 AM   #1

Default I bought an EC20..

.. to stick BEHIND my 50-200 SWD lens! I shoot majority birds & wildlife, and have been using the EC14 (which is magnificent), but as always I'm craving more reach!

Looking forward to delivery of my new tc for my next birding trip at the end of the month!

Anyone have any pointers/suggestions/comments regarding the EC20 & 50-200 SWD combo I should take note of?

Cheers
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:25 AM   #2

Congrats on the EC-20. It is a worthwhile addition to the 50-200mm lens.

My suggestions;
Have fun, enjoy it and post a few pics when you've had a chance to use it.
I find that the image quality does degrade a tad when the 50-200mm is fully extended. And, of course, you know that you'll lose 2 stops on the aperture.
Under normal daylight conditions, I've not found losing 2 stops to be an issue at all.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:31 AM   #3

Agree with everything Zig said.

Keep your shutter speeds up. I try to not let them drop much below 1/800 or 1/1000 second when I am using the EC20.

I'm also considering buying the 50mm f2 macro, mainly to use with my E-PL1 in manual focus mode. If I do, I will also be carrying the EC20 to convert that lens into a 100mm f4 macro. No doubt, it will find it's way onto my E30 as well.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Agree with everything Zig said.

Keep your shutter speeds up. I try to not let them drop much below 1/800 or 1/1000 second when I am using the EC20.

I'm also considering buying the 50mm f2 macro, mainly to use with my E-PL1 in manual focus mode. If I do, I will also be carrying the EC20 to convert that lens into a 100mm f4 macro. No doubt, it will find it's way onto my E30 as well.
And from the pics the other Greg posts that may be the single best macro combo you can find.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:44 AM   #5

Adam....I'm sorry to have read your post over on DPReview about locking up your 50-200 in updating the firmware. Olympus will get it working again and back in your hands very fast. The times I have sent lenses in for work, they were out of my hands for less then two weeks total.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
And from the pics the other Greg posts that may be the single best macro combo you can find.

John
Based on the ultra-sharp images I'm seeing from the 12-60 SWD hanging off the E-PL1, the 50mm f2 Zuiko might be sharp enough to bring blood. The E5's probably going to be a revelation as to what's possible with all of these Digital Zuikos.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The E5's probably going to be a revelation as to what's possible with all of these Digital Zuikos.
Amen to that.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:29 PM   #8

The EC-20 is a nice piece of glass. Be prepared for a dim viewfinder and the need for alot of light to keep shutter speeds up for a very long lens.

I don't use it with the 50-200 (I have that other option), but it gets alot of use with the 35 macro (True 2:1, 35mm equiv 4:1) which is the same brightness as the long end of the 50-200.

My favorite (for macro) is the 50 f2 macro with the EC-20, and it is a very easy to use, easy to light (with flash) and offers outstanding IQ, even well stopped down.

It also gets alot of use with the 300mm, and I'm certainly pleased with that combo.

I'm guessing that the EC-20/50-200 might do well for closeups also. It will retain every milimeter of working distance and double the magnification.

You will enjoy the reach. 400mm on a 2x factor is getting out there. Have fun with it when your lens gets back.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:52 PM   #9

Hey Adam

Damn thats pretty bad news about the lens.. they really need to change their update method to help stop something like this from happening. Fingers crossed you get it back soon and we can see some images with the Ec20 and the 50-200!

HArj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:03 AM   #10

Thanks very much for your tips/comments and support.

Needless to say I was shattered when the firmware update when belly up on the 50-200 SWD and left with with an expensive brick.

For those interested in following my progress dealing with Olympus Australia, check out this link:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...6603099&page=1

I've got the 70-300mm back on the E620 for the time being.. hope my 50-200 isn't gone too long.
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote