Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:37 AM   #1

Default Zone 10 reviews the E-5

Parts 1 to 6 of Zone E-5 review is up.. pretty detailed and more to follow as they havn't produced a summary.

Part 1 starts here:

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...d=544&Itemid=1

I do find it bizzare that none of the sites that have tested the E-5 so far, have reported on the cam's AF's esp for CAF yet .. I;d liek to know if its improved over the E30 , the same or worse... ie like the E3.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Oct 17, 2010 at 9:42 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:34 AM   #2

that's a great review...can't wait to get this camera!
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:39 AM   #3

thanks for the link, Harj. I thought part 2 put into words my exact sentiment on the sensor size.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
I do find it bizzare that none of the sites that have tested the E-5 so far, have reported on the cam's AF's esp for CAF yet .. I;d liek to know if its improved over the E30 , the same or worse... ie like the E3.
This is pretty much a common theme with any site that posts reviews, whether it is DPReview or DCResource or anyone else you could name.

Continuous AF, or action shooting is pretty much never tested with any model below the typical very top flag ship models like the Canon 1D's and Nikon D3's of the world, and I imagine part, if not most of the reason for this is, many "testers" are glorified geeks more interested in running tests to determine chromatic aberrations, number of lines the sensor will resolve, how much noise does a camera produce at ISO 3200 (under studio lights no less!) or whether it will capture 3.1 or 3.4 frames per second in burst mode rather than how the continuous AF works. Testing continuous AF in a camera that does not have an ultimate AF system like those in the true pro (Canon 1Ds/Nikon D3) models takes a little more work. You have to use a camera for a while and practice with it before you can obtain decent results because the AF systems in cameras like the E5, Nikon D300s or Canon 50D, to be honest, are not as good as those in a Canon 1Ds where a reviewer not inclined to shoot action much, if ever, probably can just pick one up, set an appropriate continuous AF mode and get excellent results. Reviewing the continuous AF in an E5 probably has as much to do with the shooters ability to gest the best out of a camera as it is the actual system in the camera.

I remember when DPReview did their review of the E1, they had an addendum review from a guy who took the E1 to a track to shoot a race day to see how it performed...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/page23.asp

I have never seen another report like that with any other camera I was interested enough in buying that I took the time to read reviews on multiple sites. The more highly-watched sites should have people on staff willing, or better suited to do more tests like this to see how DSLR's perform. It is precisly this type shooting that is the primary preason for still choosing to buy a DSLR over the new mirrorless models, but you would never know it in reading reviews and looking at typical "test images" they shoot with both types of cameras. You'd think static subject-shooting is all any camera is capable of looking at how most sites, including this one, "review" any camera.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 17, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:41 PM   #5

Hi Greg

Thanks for posting that link to the DPR update to the E1 review - I remember reading Sean Reids Review of the E1 which was a siimilar follow up to an earlier review by MR over at Luminous Land on the e1 and also the DPR addendum before deciding on getting it. Here' it is and some of the comments made by Sean apply just as much to the E3 as well.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/e1-2nd.shtml

There's numerous reviews like that on LL - and sometimes several for the same camera. One of my other favorite cam reviews was by Andy Piper over at Photo.net

http://photo.net/equipment/leica/digilux2/

Greg, you make a really valid point about having a real world reports like those two and I think they should be obligatory for any DSLR review, esp for semi/pro and pro cameras. Otherwise are they really good enough if they don;t ?

Cheers

Harj
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:32 PM   #6

Harj, thanks for the E-1 link on Luminous landscape; as I had not read that review before. It made me want to go out and pick up a good used E-1!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:14 PM   #7

HI Steve

That review by Sean Reid has to be one fo the fairest and most helpful reveiews of any camera done in a long time and it really helped me make my decision to get the E1, and I really wish that for the DSLR's that Steve's changes it's review format to incorporate something like that, even if theyre done as a part 2.

As Andy and Sean are real working pro photographers they really give us the customers a much better idea on whether a camera is the one that we want - everything in Sean's review of the E1 confirmed that for me. The year before they launched the E3 Sean I think had been working on a review for the E1's original replacement, as he had it was listed on his reidreviews.com website under the forthcoming reviews and had mentioned that it was fairly complete but as we know the E1+ was cancelled and he never published any further comments on the camera. I was really looking forward to that review and was hoping that Oly would have provided him with an E-3 when it was finally annouced but for whatever reason they decided not too and he never went out of his way to do a personal review either.

Do have a read of Andy Pipers Digilux2/Lc1 review - its possibly one of the best I have ever read for any camera - thorough, uncompromising and a worthy read. That and Sean;s review of the LC1 as well, has always made me hanker for that camera.

Cheers

Harj