Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:26 AM   #11

Hi Greg

Damn, thats not good... I;ve read a few similar posts on some ofthe other forums but those were to do with teh FW updates to the E3 and the camera's performance degrading significantly. What was even worse was one of the posters sent the E3 back to Oly for them to fix on 2-3 occasions and they couldn;t fix the issue and sent the camera back as aok.

Fingers crossed that its working correctly with your new new E-5 and looking forward to the E-5 pics!

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Oct 21, 2010 at 2:45 AM.
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I had money in the account and didn't have enough brains to say no. It should be here tomorrow.
You should have a great time with it. Are you planning to just shoot jpeg for now, or use the Oly software for RAW conversion?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
You should have a great time with it. Are you planning to just shoot jpeg for now, or use the Oly software for RAW conversion?

Ted
It showed up at around 6PM and the battery is on the charger. I popped in a battery from the E-3 to look at the menu setup and such.

I set it to raw + fine jpeg while trying to get my used to things. I guess the EXIF can be edited to tell lightroom its an E-30 and the raw files can be worked with. Don't even know where to start.

There are four my-mode settings possible (instead of two) which is a big plus for me. Now I just wish I could name them. I'll give it awhile before I start setting them until I get used to how things perform.

I'll miss the IS button, as I usually have it off unless I need it. I already set the function button to this feature.

The new display is a step up, but I don't use it much on a day to day basis. Better is alway good, though.

I did crack off a couple shots of Rum (a dog) indoors in some truely horrible light. The 50 macro focused positively and the auto ISO was at the limit I set of ISO3200 and noise reduction "off". Some noise reduction will make that setting quite useful. Not bad at all.

There is alot to learn about the camera, and it will be weeks before I can learn the camera well enough to form a reliable opinion. Tomorrow is supposed to be rain, and I don't know if I'll test its water resistance quite yet. We'll see. Maybe Horicon will let me test higher ISOs with overcast sky. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:53 PM   #14

Hi Greg

Good to see you got yoru mitts o the E5. from all accounts so far.. the Oly RAw convertors dont seem to be doing as good a job as the OOC jpegs from the E-5 which is a bit surprsing.

keep us posted on how you find the E-5....will be interesting to know whether the AF has imprved or not.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote