Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Thanks, northern Greg!

That's consistent with other folks using the E-5: ISO3200 is very useable. Amazing - I always figured the best I'd eventually be happy with, would be ISO1600 on a 4/3 sensor. Who would have thought that 3200 would be that good?

So the interesting thing is that with the f/2 SHG lenses, we're at the same exposure level as CaNikons at ISO6200 with their f/2.4 lenses. Welcome to parity (more or less) at a way lower price (as long as we Oly folks don't need a really good C-AF)...

Ted

Edit: Plus the sweet spot for the SHG lenses is, you guessed it, f/wide open.
I'll admit I always thought I'd be underguned if I would have shown up at the high school basketball game, but with the E-5 I thing the 150 f2 of 35-100 would be right at home. Of course I can think of a couple of brands that have the advantage in the focus department, but I'd take the camera now when I'd have left it behind before.

Don't forget some f1.2 offerings from those others too.

P.S. The 35-100 is really, really good at f2, isn't it

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
these look good so far! look forward to more
Hope to go to Horicon NWR tomorrow if the weather looks suitable. Nothing like trial by fire to learn a new camera

Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Pretty darned impressive. I'd be pleased with that ISO 3200 performance too!
I'm glad you're thinking of getting this camera, and the reasons are quite selfish. You seem to get the most from any camera, and I know you will enjoy this one!!! I want to see the results from your hockey, baseball, or other sports activities.

Greg

Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
P.S. The 35-100 is really, really good at f2, isn't it
Jeeez, yes. The thing is, what I most like to shoot is more along the lines of landscapes. For that, the 14-35 is just unbelievable at f/2 as is the 7-14 at f/4. I'm not bragging - just saying. How does Oly make glass like this???

I've been shooting photos since the 1960s, starting with a (used) Leica IIIf. Throughout my film days I always figured I would never be able to have the quality of glass that pros have. Now, I have a bunch of stellar lenses - unbelievable. I really do try to keep that in mind whenever I get peeved with Oly for one reason or another...

Ted

Edit: When you look at the Consumer Price Index, today's $2500 lens would have cost about $850 in 1980. Didn't the legendary Vivitar Series 1 70-210 Macro sell for around $350 at that time? And the Oly 35-100 f/2 is autofocus, a stop faster, and orders of magnitude better IQ.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Oct 24, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote