Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:10 AM   #11

Ken said, "Oh my, that punch in the stomach feeling. Hope it all works out for you."

...me too
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:02 AM   #12

Hi Ted

Now thats a good idea.... definitely worthwhiel checking it. Also if it was purcahsed using a credit ard .. does the insurance that the CC company provide cover anything like what happened ?

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Ted

does the insurance that the CC company provide cover anything like what happened ?
Don't know about this sort of thing specifically, but I do know that they usually extend the warranty that comes with electronics usually (one of my card doubles it to 2 instead of 1)
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:00 PM   #14

I'll be curious what happens, but have a feeling this type accident and repair will not be covered under any warranty condition since it's not related to a mechanical fault due to construction problems on the part of Olympus. Credit card warranty extensions simply extend the original warranty, don't they? I have never bought a separate rider policy to cover photographic equipment so do not know if damage from use is covered or not, but that seems to me to be about the only possible thing that might cover a repair of this type nature.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:36 PM   #15

I did some research, and there appears to be some credit cards that cover accidents within a short period after purchase.
http://www.creditorweb.com/articles/...rotection.html
"Typically, purchase protection will cover you for about 90 days from the date of purchase. In order for a purchase to be eligible for coverage, it may have to be worth a minimum amount of money, also. In order to fully understand your coverage, you need to read through your credit card’s terms and agreements for all of the specific details regarding the type of purchase protection coverage you are entitled to. It’s always a good idea to know your rights and coverage before you actually need to use them. If you have any questions about what you read, don’t hesitate to call the credit card company’s customer service line- that’s what they’re there for!
What does purchase protection insurance coverage do for the typical credit card user? For most people, it will never actually do anything! Many people are not even aware that purchase protection exists, and don’t know whether or not their own credit card offers the protection. For credit card users who are aware of the coverage and want to use it, it covers you in the event that you purchase an item using your credit card that becomes damaged on the way home or soon thereafter, becomes lost, or someone steals it. These are the typical eligibility requirements for purchase protection coverage, although once again, be sure to read your specific credit card company’s policy for the exact details of your coverage. In most cases, the credit card company will refund the amount of the purchase (as shown on your store receipt or credit card statement) back onto your credit card account, although there is almost always a maximum limit to how much money can be refunded under the insurance. Most policies will also have strict exclusions for certain types of damages to items purchased, so a purchase protection insurance policy is not a perfect solution as not all instances of damaged items will be covered, but at least it is better than no coverage!"

You have nothing to loose by contacting your credit card company and see what protection you have. good luck.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:01 PM   #16

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.

First, it was 100% my fault. I hate to stick someone else with a bill when its my responsability. I'll pay what it takes to put humpty back together again.

I called Olympus today and spoke to a very nice lady. She was empathetic and she was aware I couldn't have had the camera for very long at all. I fessed up about it being all my fault. She put me on hold a couple times while she conversed with others. She sent info via e-mail and wants me to include my invoice (from B&H) and warranty card and wanted me to explain the situation in detail. She seemed confident that Olympus might be able to assist in some measure. How much more can I ask???

I've wanted a Pelican style case that just held the 300mm with body and hood attached. They don't make anything that long without being much wider that I wanted. I think I'll need to make something. I'll need to be more cautious. Its a lesson learned the hard way.

I've always had confidence in olympus quality, and I'm pleased that my first need for service has had such a pleasant start.

Thanks again for all your support.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:15 PM   #17

Hello Greg,

Well said and well done. I'm sure they appreciated your honesty.

My belief is that no company, Olympus included, wants to have an unhappy customer. Especially with a brand new product that is in a highly competitive marketplace. I'm sure they're aware the importance of your having a positive outcome with them will no doubt reflect in their future sales.

Good news takes a while to get around but bad news travels at the speed of light. (in this case, the internet).

Hope yours is good news.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:27 AM   #18

Hi,

I am really sad to hear this. And I hope Olympus will honor to fix it for free considering it is brand new and it was an honest accident.

By the way, do you have any insurance that might cover it? Like home insurance?
Shompis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shompis View Post
Hi,

I am really sad to hear this. And I hope Olympus will honor to fix it for free considering it is brand new and it was an honest accident.

By the way, do you have any insurance that might cover it? Like home insurance?
With camera equipment of any real value, you generally need a separate rider to cover the equipment. I have no such policy.

I should have an idea as to what to expect soon, as the camera should arrive at the repair facility on tomorrow.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote