Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:06 PM   #1

Default Circling the E-620

I've got myself hooked on the idea of this camera, I figure I can at least take 'er out for a spin and see how it goes. Anyone who has this (or otherwise wants to comment), would you go for the kit package http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digita...7883318&sr=1-5

--or is there a special lens that you would spring for otherwise? (For me this would mean getting the body and just that one lens) I know it largely depends on shooting style but I thought I'd feel around for strong opinions on the matter.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:24 PM   #2

Hi: don't know your budget, and we all would like to have the expensive High Grade lens. But the two lens kit from Oly is the best kit lens for the price. For relatively little money over the body only, the 14-42mm and the 40-150mm will give good results, and will allow you to get familiar with the camera, and the type of shooting that you most prefer. Then later you can determine what other lens you want to add, either wide-angle or telephoto.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi: don't know your budget, and we all would like to have the expensive High Grade lens. But the two lens kit from Oly is the best kit lens for the price. For relatively little money over the body only, the 14-42mm and the 40-150mm will give good results, and will allow you to get familiar with the camera, and the type of shooting that you most prefer. Then later you can determine what other lens you want to add, either wide-angle or telephoto.

Steve R.
I agree. I got the whole kit and don't regret it. I'm wild about the camera! The size is great and the features are better.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:55 PM   #4

Hi,

I'm using the E-520 and I got the kit lenses (however, with the "old" 40-150 MK1) and you will be happy with the newer E620. The lenses are perfect to start with and the camera, with the improvements over the E5xx serie is very good.

Good Luck with it!
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:52 PM   #5

I bought the e620 2 lens kit last May and I'm glad I did. Having both lenses yields a great hike around the city combination, light weight and the ability to grab the whole scene plus capture architectural details when required. I have other lenses but the two kit lenses makes my walk around set.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:12 PM   #6

Thanks, folks. I am psyched to buy this camera. Gonna take a trip to big-box and see if they have one for handling.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:15 PM   #7

P.S. Do you all prefer CF or Xd format for storage? Both are totally new to me, I've been working solely with SD for the last six years so I don't know what is what.

Any other buying suggestions, as to accessories- favorite camera bag, lens hoods, etc... it's like I've been living under a rock, hahaha *eye rolls*
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:44 PM   #8

Use the CF card as your main storage card. I keep the xD in my camera bodies only for backup should the CF card get full, or if I'm doing an Oly panoramic shot. The CF cards are physically bigger, and will be harder to lose, plus they come in a larger capacity than xD. I like the 4 GB CF cards, and have several. I don't like to keep all my eggs in one basket, and would rather have two separate 4 gig cards rather than a single 8 gig card.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Use the CF card as your main storage card. I keep the xD in my camera bodies only for backup should the CF card get full, or if I'm doing an Oly panoramic shot. The CF cards are physically bigger, and will be harder to lose, plus they come in a larger capacity than xD. I like the 4 GB CF cards, and have several. I don't like to keep all my eggs in one basket, and would rather have two separate 4 gig cards rather than a single 8 gig card.
To add to what Steven said, the pro photographers I know prefer CF cards because they've proven to be durable. So the pro versions of Nikon and Canon bodies are unlikely to eliminate them real soon. Plus, the xD cards have way, way slower read/write speeds than CF cards unless you have an ancient CF card.

Here's what xD cards are primarily useful for: carry some in your pocket for when you are in a restaurant with a table that wobbles. They're excellent for propping up the short leg on the table.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Oct 25, 2010 at 4:58 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:48 PM   #10

Thanks, that's great advice! lol @ turkowksi.