Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:47 PM   #1

Default Big cats and other wonderful critters ...

A few pics of some big cats and other animals taken a wee while ago. Nearly all shot through glass, taken with the E3 + 35-100F2 (from ISO 200 - ISo1600, RAW, PP in LR3.2). Not the best pics in terms of composition and the E3's AF really isnt accurate enough - too many that were good compisition wise but completely OOF which was a shame. I'll be going back to take some more pics hopefully in the next month or so - the tigers are really hard to shoot esp Sasha (White Tiger) as his enclosure is literally like a mini jungle and its practically impossible to get a tight shot from any vantage point with the 35-100. Next time I want to have either the EC14 or EC20 with me .. so question which of the 2 TC's would be better to get to pair up with the 35-100F2 ? I'm personally leaning towards the Ec14 - only loose 1 x stop, gives a wee bit more in terms of 52-150 vs 70-200, IQ is supposed to be better than the EC20 but pricewise theyre exactly the same so I'd like to hear from anyone thats used either.

Hows the colour and noise in these images .. ? I did find that with some high ISo - 1200 -1600 shots the pics were basically falling apart but others were ok, even though the exposure wasn;t too far out and then some at ISO 640-800 weren;t as good as they should have been. The E-5's higher better ISO would be really useful - from first samples ISo1600 is easily usable and 3200 looks pretty decent.

1. Underwater - as good as I could get. It looked better on the LCD (ie sharper and more in focus)but obviosuly it wasn't.

2. Have they gone yet ??

3. Feeling pooped

4. Deep in thought was the king of the jungle

5. "Don;t mess with me .. he may be the king but I'm the Queen and wear the pants around here". Not sure what happened her but my composition was all over the place on this.

6. "HHM.. now what to do ??"

7. Sasha . .. King of the Forest .." its all organically produced !" A truly magnificent cat.. just wish you could get closer to him without being seen as potential food.

8. Meerkats:

theres a few more pics starting from here:

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/Portfolio/...50_moz7Q-L.jpg

On a side.. note... if you have access to the BBC - check out the Beeb's latest doc on Tigers "Lost lands of the Tiger", its absolutely fantastic. The videophotography is simply stunning. You can cath it on youtube as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmMVU...eature=related

Cheers

Last edited by HarjTT; Oct 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:30 PM   #2

Hi Harj,

A great series of images exhibiting really good detail and exposure. Given the fact that many of these were shot through glass, I would be quite happy with these.

Which leads me to a point about focus. Most all of my bird images are shot through a glass storm window. I find that, depending on how I hold the lens in relationship to the glass, my 50-200mm experiences some AF problems. Reflections, on the window I'm sure, are contributing to that problem. The problem only gets worse if the glass is dirty.

With respect to which Telecon to use with the 35-100mm F2, my choice would
be the EC-20. I have both the EC-14 and the EC-20 and have used them extensively with the 50-200mm ED. I would rather have the added focal length and be able to pp whatever slight loss of detail, using ACR6.2.

If you're primarily going to use the telecon with the 35-100mm indoors, then the EC-14 gets my nod.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:44 PM   #3

Hi Zig

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, esp regards the TC's. You got me thinking about where would I use the TC and it'll always be outdoors.. I've yet to be somewhere inside where the 35-100 on its own wasn;t sufficent. So that really does make me think that the EC20 would be better. Have you noticed any drop in IQ and what about sharpness - is the say 50-200 still sharp wide open or do you need to stop down another f-stop ?

Zig, I;d never have know wth the birding pics that you were shooting through glass..thers not a hint of it in any of your pics. I found the biggest pain with the glass was the reflections and I'm thinking I should may be get a polariser to help with that although that was only a prob with the Leopard and Sasha's enclsoures. Sasha's a pretty bi beastie.. I think he;s the biggest cat there.. quiet a bit bigger than the male lion and a wee bit more than the other tigers.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Zig

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, esp regards the TC's. You got me thinking about where would I use the TC and it'll always be outdoors.. I've yet to be somewhere inside where the 35-100 on its own wasn;t sufficent. So that really does make me think that the EC20 would be better. Have you noticed any drop in IQ and what about sharpness - is the say 50-200 still sharp wide open or do you need to stop down another f-stop ?

My experience using the E-30, is the EC-14/50-200mm combo is definitely a tad sharper when the focal length is fully extended as compared to the EC-20 + 50-200mm fully extended. That being said, I find that I can make whatever adjustments I've need to make using Adobe's ACR6.2. I continue to marvel at how easily the images "clean up" using the sharpness and NR sliders.

BUT, I don't see any significant loss of detail or sharpness with the 50-200mm + EC-20 wide open or when stopped down 1 more stop. I'm frankly, concerned with getting the shutter speed high enough to be able to get a good shot off of the bird, while maintaining the lowest ISO I can get away with.

By the way, the E0-30 is in manual mode probably 90% of the time. I've just become so accustomed to shooting in manual that I don't bother with anything else except program mode.

Hope that helps.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:55 PM   #5

Excellent series of shots harj. Most of my big cat shots are thru glass also; the biggest problem being the hand prints and smudges all over the glass which really reduces the contrast and sharpness.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:29 AM   #6

I enjoyed those photos, Harj. Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Excellent series of shots harj. Most of my big cat shots are thru glass also; the biggest problem being the hand prints and smudges all over the glass which really reduces the contrast and sharpness.
That's happened to me also. I think the next time I go to the zoo I'll put a small Windex and paper towel in my camera bag.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:04 AM   #7

.....I too enjoy seeing these Harj, for me the exposure is absolutely spot on and the colors are perfectly natural for saturation, hue & contrast. Why I love the iMAC 27 here is to see photo presentations such as these.

thanks, my day is started with a smile
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:28 AM   #8

As almost all of my critter shots are taken through double-glaze windows, I know the importance of clean glass. The only downside is that I have to clean daily because birds are constantly flying into them!

Nice series, Harj.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:47 PM   #9

Harj: The meerkat in your shot is interesting. The meerkats that I am familiar with, do not have anywhere near that much gray in their fur. They are primarily brown. Also, the fur on yours seems a little thicker than usual. Do you suppose that the meerkats in your location are adapting to the cooler climate which is different from what they had back home?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:48 PM   #10

Steve, I think your right about the Meerkats. I've just had another look and I hadn't noticed the colour change to the fur or that the it looks a lot thicker than what I've seen previously and on TV doc's on them .. usually its like a military grade1 or 2 cut all over. Its pretty cool you spotted the change in them and I wonder if there's been any other changes to some of the other hot weather critters as well ? Here's another shot of a few of them together in their new enclosure and they do look as if they've got a wee bit more fur:

Last edited by HarjTT; Oct 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM.