Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
all the water is going to run out to the right if you don't level it.....I do that a lot..
Zig, you should take Ken's advice seriously. If you don't, this is likely to be what happens to those non-level photos on your hard drive.

Ted
Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:04 PM   #12

Uh Oh, Ted

I see what you mean

I'll have to get on that right away.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:30 PM   #13

Zig: that is a very interesting collection of lighthouses that you have on smugmug. There were a couple that I really liked, and thought I would add them to your post. If you don't want them, please delete them.
(I love how easy it is with Smugmug to copy photos to the posts in Steve's Digicam. Just open the size you want, right click and copy, then past it to your post.)

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:11 AM   #14

Hi Steven,

Don't mind at all. Glad you like these.

The first is Barnegat Light in New Jersey. With the second being Portland Head Light, Portland, Maine.

As I understand it, Portland Head is one of the most photographed Lighthouse in the States. It certainly looked that way the day Martha and I were there. You had to wait in line to get a chance at the best spot to photograph this beautiful
place.

Thanx for posting them.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:41 AM   #15

Really liked the additional photos on your Smugmug site.

I too have a problem getting the camera level so I spend way more time editing photos to get photos level that I really like. My z612 has a grid line option which I have switched on all the time but even that doesn't help when shooting moving subjects. Love to have that option on a DSLR focus screen.

Never had the problem with film SLRs and I think that is a camera shape issue. Film cameras were more nearly left/right symetrical because the body had to make space for both film supply and film takeup spools. When my fingers are positioned on the focus/zoom controls of the lens then the end of the camera rests on the ball of the thumb. Digital cameras, not requiring a film supply chamber are truncated on the left side so the end of the camera hit the heel of the hand below the ball of the thumb when the fingers are on the lens making the "natural" grip tilted. Didn't have the tilt problem near so bad with my first digital, a Kodak DC5000, which was nearly left/right symetrical with respect to the lens.

Oh well, keep the lighthouse pictures coming and I'll shut up about ergonomics.

A. C.

Last edited by ac.smith; Oct 28, 2010 at 11:45 AM.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:17 PM   #16

Good point with those level comments AC. I don't remember having that problem with the old OM's either. I put it down to getting older and just became annoyed with myself. Mine tend to tilt the way Ziggy's do.
Now you've given me/us the excuse I was looking for...
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:44 PM   #17

Thanks for that point about symmetrical cameras, A.C. Like Ken, I don't remember having problems keeping the horizon level in film SLRs either. Now, the problem is driving me nuts.

Ted

Edit: And unfortunately, the E-3 and E-30 focus screen is somehow closely tied to the exposure system, so if you change to an aftermarket screen you will have exposure issues (Rebecca Katz' company warns folks about that). There was an Oly FS-3 focus screen with a grid, available for the E-3 and/or E-30 as a factory-installed option. But it's not listed on Oly's site anymore.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Oct 28, 2010 at 1:10 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:22 PM   #18

I really like the EVF on my old C-8080. You could overlay gridlines in the viewfinder, and they let you not only keep the horizon level, but also the sides of buildings, etc.

However, I think the horizontal and vertical level option in the E-30 would be an even better option. More and more I'm leaning toward an E-30 as my next camera instead of an E-5.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I really like the EVF on my old C-8080. You could overlay gridlines in the viewfinder, and they let you not only keep the horizon level, but also the sides of buildings, etc.

However, I think the horizontal and vertical level option in the E-30 would be an even better option. More and more I'm leaning toward an E-30 as my next camera instead of an E-5.
Huh? The E-5 has the same one as the E-30.

I have asked Oly if the FS-3 can be added to the E-5. I'm sure they will respond that why would I want that since the E-5 has a level indicator. Then I suspect I'll have to go through Photographic Composition 101 with them...

Ted
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post

Hi Ken,

With the E-30, I really have no excuse for not having the images come out level as the level indicator is simple to activate and really does work. Additionally, there are 11 auto focus points going across the viewfinder screen. They are arranged in 3 rows with the top and bottom rows each having 3 points while the middle row has 6 points. I only have to look at the middle row to see if I'm in line or off angle.

The E-30 is a wonderful camera. I have yet to feel the need to upgrade. Preferring instead, to look at adding some SHG lenses.

Zig