Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:31 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
The photographer should not give up his day job.
Sadly, I have to assume that the photographer's day job is photography if he or she is photographing the Monarchs.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:47 AM   #172

Quote:
I've never been much of a "royalist" (I don't think this guy is either. ) but even I would cringe if that were my photo and someone published it.
I don't think anyone would be critiquing the royals if they said that was a lousy shot.
The photographer should not give up his day job.
As bad as this photo is (and, it's quite bad), I couldn't help but notice the lauding comments some folks left. Maybe it's a new "trend" in photography
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:22 AM   #173

I don't like critiquing peoples photography unless they ask me personally because other than Peter Lik most of us aren't perfect : )
However my opinion is a 110 film camera with the little built in flash could do as well. As Gary said there are some very good comments about the picture which makes me scratch my head a little. Only thing I can say is I can blow highlights as well or better than this photographer and I work much cheaper : )
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:06 AM   #174

Apparently he's an internationally known photographer.

http://www.artnet.com/artists/thomas-struth/

To my eye his photos are very good but not great. Some of Greg C'c photos of Dallas are better than a lot of Struth's cityscapes.

What's odd to me is that the royal couple, having lived through WWII, had their portrait done by a German photographer rather than a British one. They should have called Harj.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 28, 2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:29 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
What's odd to me is that the royal couple, having lived through WWII, had their portrait done by a German photographer rather than a British one. They should have called Harj.

Ted
That is a little ironic, and they should have called Harj. I've also seen images of the queen through the years with her Leica M camera in tow.

As Mel Brooks once said, It's good to be the queen....er, King, actually.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 6:28 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

Ted
Taking a technically good photograph is a long way from capturing the 'essence' of the moment.
Those two must have been having a shitty moment is all I can say.
They should had got Harj......

Yeh, they went through WWII and good for Georgie the VI th. He decided to stay in London. Like most of European Royalty they all come from the Germanic Saxe-Coburg-Gotha line of inbreads. But the British line is now called (for obvious reasons) Mountbatten-Windsor.

Elizabeth was a cute young thing in her army uniform though.
1942: A Cecil Beaton portrait of the teenaged Princess Elizabeth wearing her ATS uniform during World War II

Beaton used to take all the royal photos, and better than the current, tog I'd say..

Last edited by Scouse; Jun 28, 2011 at 6:37 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:14 AM   #177

Quote:
Yeh, they went through WWII and good for Georgie the VI th. He decided to stay in London. Like most of European Royalty they all come from the Germanic Saxe-Coburg-Gotha line of inbreads. But the British line is now called (for obvious reasons) Mountbatten-Windsor.

Elizabeth was a cute young thing in her army uniform though.
1942: A Cecil Beaton portrait of the teenaged Princess Elizabeth wearing her ATS uniform during World War II
I was going to say you did a great job on that photo, but then I remembered I had said I'd stop teasing you about your age.

Thanks for posting it. By an interesting coincidence the local PBS station ran some documentaries last night about the House of Windsor, which extensively featured Elizabeth. Those old films didn't do her justice compared to the photo you posted.

Ted
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:42 PM   #178

Cecil Beaton knew his stuff, that is a great shot
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:15 AM   #179

Default Ricoh buys Pentax.

We all knew that Pentax was not that strong, but I have to admit that Ricoh being the purchaser was kind of a surprise. I was expecting a larger company to be the one to take over Pentax.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:56 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
We all knew that Pentax was not that strong, but I have to admit that Ricoh being the purchaser was kind of a surprise. I was expecting a larger company to be the one to take over Pentax.
A lot of changes going on in the world right now - it's definitely not business as usual.

Ted