Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:57 PM   #181

Related to business not being as usual, I'm afraid that we haven't even begun to see the global health ramifications of the Fukushima disaster. This is my worst nightmare come true - TEPCO isn't telling us a fraction of what's going on.

Based on my considerable professional experience this is, well I can't even describe what this is. Aaaiiieee.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:07 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
We all knew that Pentax was not that strong, but I have to admit that Ricoh being the purchaser was kind of a surprise. I was expecting a larger company to be the one to take over Pentax.
According to messages on the Dark Side, Ricoh is bigger than Olympus or even Canon so Pentax becomes their camera division. This may not be all bad.

In a time when 99% of all photos are taken with cell phones, we need to be grateful for any news about a company not getting out of imaging completely.

Ted
Old Jul 1, 2011, 5:18 PM   #183

While those of us in the US celebrate Independence Day, I think it's cool that Prince William and Kate are visiting Canada for Canada Day. But what is that red blob on her head? (Not that US celebrities can't make unfortunate fashion statements here as well.)

US citizens here probably know this, but in case not: if you want to see news about the rest of the world instead of only about what's gong on in the US, you probably do have that opportunity. Your local PBS video channel is likely to be running the news from BBC America at 6pm or thereabouts. Try it - there's a lot going on in the world that transcends just our international oil interests.

Ted
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:27 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
According to messages on the Dark Side, Ricoh is bigger than Olympus or even Canon so Pentax becomes their camera division. This may not be all bad.

In a time when 99% of all photos are taken with cell phones, we need to be grateful for any news about a company not getting out of imaging completely.

Ted
Good point, I should have clarified that its photo division is small compared to the revenue streams that Ricoh receives from its other divisions.

Now for the latest rumor, that Samsung is offering its new CMOS sensor to Olympus. No word if Oly will be buying yet, but interesting none the less.
"..Samsung exporting their CMOS to other companies. 18 Megapixel sensor ready. Olympus to buy Samsung sensors?

According to our insider sources Samsung is looking for export their new CMOS technology. A couple of weeks ago there have been a meeting with representatives of digital camera companies. Samsung showed them their last generation sensor. Itís a 18MPx CMOS sensor with 4K support. One of the present representatives was from Olympus. Samsung offered them a 16MPx 4/3 version with 1080p.......
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 11:23 AM   #185

......I am not a newbie PC guy and I made a living for nearly 50-yrs writing code (in 14 different languages); I can figure out how to do things in a computer environment BUT for the life of me I CANNOT make a 'copy/paste' of a SmugMug image in a hyperlink format, like the Gregs, Ted, Steven, Zig and probably a million or so other Smuggers.

So, this is a directed request to TED (when he gets moved), cuz I remember he did it a while back to help someone else. STEPS 1 and 2 AGAIN PLEASE

thank you de Bob ... aka pgmCoder (some forums), Coder (inline fast food call since there are usually too many Bobs waiting)

Oh, I am all flustered again over this recent (a few minutes ago) 'image-hyperlink' attempt and it is hotter'n hell out so that ain't helping some either, Bonnie just said, "go outside to yell, you are scaring Autumn (the ever sleeping cat).

Ok, anyone else may too chip in with help, Ted may be a while............

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 2:17 PM   #186

BoBB: Check your gallery settings for the gallery in Smug Mug from which you are trying to do the copy/paste. If you're pettings don't specifically allow it, you can't copy and paste. They do that to protect your shots from un-authorized copying.

Check the gallery settings and check under "Security & Settings" if you have "External Links" set to "yes". It is also a good idea under "Social" to have "Easy Share" set to "yes".
You should be able to just bring up the photo in the size that you desire, usually "Large: or "Extra Large" looks good in most posts, and then just do your right click to copy and then just past it into your topic post.

A longer way to do it is to go to the photo, and then go up to the tool marked "Share" and then choose "Get a link" and choose the size to copy, and then go back to your topic post and hit insert.

Hopes this helps. Let me know. If you still have problems sent me a PM and we will go over it.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:18 PM   #187

Quote:
You should be able to just bring up the photo in the size that you desire, usually "Large: or "Extra Large" looks good in most posts, and then just do your right click to copy and then just past it into your topic post.
Steven, I've found that that really depends on the browser. IE has a Copy and a Paste command with a right-click, but Firefox doesn't. Bob is using a Mac IIRC so dunno what he sees when he right clicks an image in Smugmug.

Quote:
A longer way to do it is to go to the photo, and then go up to the tool marked "Share" and then choose "Get a link" and choose the size to copy, and then go back to your topic post and hit insert.
I find this to be quirky also - I really sympathize with Bob. The only thing that always works for me is right-click then Copy (not copy image location) and paste, using IE. Not even Copy from the top line Edit menu is reliable.

Ted
Old Jul 3, 2011, 5:48 PM   #188

Thanks guys, one day I will get to the bottom of it but for now I'll use the SmugMug share feature, for me it always works.... I've been using it that way for several years and I really want copy/paste to work simply because it doesn't work and I don't know why (the analyst/programmer mentality in me).

I do use Firefox on the iMAC, Chrome on the MAC-mini & either does a 'right-click' copy/paste. If I size a SmugMug image and do a right-click copy then it will paste to the message box here and will paste into into an email. The email will send the pasted image, it all works, always has.... BUT in this forum when the pasted image is done it will not upload to the forum thread, just disappears.

I've tried this with Firefox, Chrome and Safari all of which do right-click copy/paste. I no longer have a Microsoft machine but as I remember a couple years back I also tried with I.E.

Note here: Firefox right-click copy renders a .jpg while Safari does it as .tif

I don't use Safari for anything except on the iPAD it is the best way to work FaceBook over all the FB apps....but on the computers, NO SAFARI usage, it is far too ancient.

Doing the SmugMug share feature is not a hassle for me and the only end difference is that it does not imbed hyperlink data which sometimes is a neat way to share a new basket of photos off a forum post.

Oh well, when I get this sorted out I'll be sure to let the world know, cause and cure.

tnx agn,

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:17 PM   #189

I just saw something I had to post here. Take a look at this image, shot with the Pentax 645D..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38850184
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:37 PM   #190

Holy crap. Ok, Ok, OK maybe it's not just a studio camera.

But when you get the body plus a few lenses, you're into a halfway decent automobile.

Ted