Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:53 PM   #221

Default Oly patent on "global rolling shutter" to reduce noise

Oly patent on "global rolling shutter" to reduce noise in Oly photos. Just announced 8/11/2011 in Japan. This is a Google translation; maybe some of you engineers can make some sense of it.

http://translate.google.com/translat...p%2F2011-08-17
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:58 PM   #222

Default here is another one on the gobal shutter.

The next big feature. Panasonic and Olympus working on Global Shutter!

The global shutter circuitry patented by Olympus (found via Egami)
A couple of days ago I told you via trusted sources that Panasonic has the plan to introduce the “global shutter” with the next GH3 camera. And not only Panasonic is working on it! Egami spotted an Olympus patent describing the noise reduction process on a sensor with global shutter. Global shutters can remove the typical effects from current sensors using the rolling shutter like exhibit smearing,skew, wobble, and partial exposure. Wikipedia explains it better: “Rolling shutter (also known as line scan) is a method of image acquisition in which each frame is recorded not from a snapshot of a single point in time, but rather by scanning across the frame either vertically or horizontally. In other words, not all parts of the image are recorded at exactly the same time, even though the whole frame is displayed at the same time during playback. This is in contrast with global shutter in which the entire frame is exposed for the same time window.”
According to Egami the Olympus global shutter sensor will also allow to have much sharper images (you can see an image comparison on their website).
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:47 AM   #223

Well I sure don't understand it. There are some folks in the Oly forum at DPR that know sensor technology pretty well. If someone posts an explanation I'll post a link here.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:11 AM   #224

Of this I only recognize it as an IC components layout and of that I only recognize the diode and cap, gotta be more to it than that or this would'a happened a long time ago.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 19, 2011 at 7:34 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 6:57 AM   #225

I posted the question at DPR and got helpful responses.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=39142862

The link that Torstein's posted is succinct and understandable.

All that said, as far as I know most DSLRs use a mechanical shutter. It is the P&S and cell phone cameras that use electronic shutters, as do cameras designed for astrophotography (which include mechanisms to cool the sensor since noise in the image looks a lot like stars and it's embarrassing to claim you found a new star that way).

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Aug 19, 2011 at 7:01 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:42 AM   #226

...........interesting, I had no idea about all that.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:35 AM   #227

All that is very interesting, I had no idea about any of that, never gave much attention before to shutter type. In re-reading the original announcements, it seems the Oly patent main emphasis is for using a different type of power circuitry to increase the power to reduce sensor noise in a global shutter, not really a re-design of the shutter itself. And looks like they are looking at eventually using it in the Pen series first. This was an interesting quote from the Google translation:

"Olympus' patented by gradually increasing the supply voltage, it shall be operated to stabilize the circuit. Olympus PEN-elect of the global shutter (electronic shutter) FP shutter (mechanical shutter), the hybrid scheme, it Crelle to match the optical axis Tripod addition, the value is going to be very attractive camera."

It is also interesting to note that Panasonic introduced a patent pending to reduce distortion in a rolling shutter about the same time that Oly introduced a patent to reduce noise in a global shutter. Nice to know that there is still ongoing R&D in the imaging side of Olympus. I sometimes worry that their medical products and other divisions would siphon all the research funds away from the camera division.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:38 AM   #228

I'm pretty sure the Pens use a mechanical shutter. The DSLRs do. There are some disadvantages to an electronic shutter, in terms of the resulting IQ of the image. When you think about it, none of the DSLR manufacturers would use a mechanical shutter if they didn't have to.

So I'm not sure what the practical effect of this announcement really is.

Ted
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:40 PM   #229

Yes, the shutters on all the micro cameras, Pen or Panasonic, are mechanical. The easiest way to tell is the sync speed for flash. If the shutters were electronic, you would be able to use flash at any shutter speed, but they are limited to the same 1/180 second sync speed unless you are using the FP mode on the flash to get at the higher speeds.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:26 PM   #230

Default .....it's becoming tripod selection time in my life

I am wanting a carbon tripod and ball-head and this is a solicitation for suggestions. I don't necessarily have a budget except to stay under $300 USD and the deeper under the better.

There are just too many tripods to even attempt research........

I am 6 feet tall and the heaviest combo today will be the E-3 50-200 so 1/2 add to that and make a max load 10-12 lbs.

Wheww, thanks

boBBrennan.smugmug.com