Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:21 PM   #231

To everyone from North Carolina thru the Northeast, our thoughts and prayers as you face Hurricane Irene this weekend. Stay safe.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:02 AM   #232

Thanks. It's supposed to go east of the DC area so we only have a "tropical storm" forecast, so we may not lose power for more than a day or so. But it's serious enough here that they postponed the ceremony of the dedication of the new Martin Luther King memorial and that dedication is a Big Deal even by DC standards.

I'm concerned about Marcelo, though. Not looking good for NYC and Long Island.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Aug 27, 2011 at 9:06 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:05 PM   #233

Sometimes life just mystifies me. DC is, like all major cities in the US, located on the "highway" in existence at the time it was founded, i.e. a river (actually two for DC). So there is a concern about flooding and the DC government is handing out free, filled sandbags to residents. They're giving each resident five sandbags. I'm not making this up.

Ted
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:50 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Sometimes life just mystifies me. DC is, like all major cities in the US, located on the "highway" in existence at the time it was founded, i.e. a river (actually two for DC). So there is a concern about flooding and the DC government is handing out free, filled sandbags to residents. They're giving each resident five sandbags. I'm not making this up.

Ted
Gee, Ted: You be sure and protect yourself and home with all 5 of those sandbags. Obviously if the government did it, they had 100 govt clerks who did a $15 million study and determined what will work, and that 5 will be sufficient. And it will also be classified as a stimulis to increase employment. LOL

Seriously, stay safe.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:01 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Been without power most of the day, but otherwise okay.
Zig
Glad to hear that, Zig. I was concerned about the folks near the coast up there, but it seems to have not been as bad as was feared.

I was just far enough west that we only got strong winds - no trees down in my neighborhood. My yard though looks like, well, like a tropical storm went through it. Lots of small branches down and I clearly won't have as many leaves to clean up this autumn.

Ted
Old Aug 29, 2011, 9:55 AM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Glad to hear that, Zig. I was concerned about the folks near the coast up there, but it seems to have not been as bad as was feared.

I was just far enough west that we only got strong winds - no trees down in my neighborhood. My yard though looks like, well, like a tropical storm went through it. Lots of small branches down and I clearly won't have as many leaves to clean up this autumn.

Ted
Good to hear that both of you are okay after the storm. Hope everyone else in forum from the Northeast came thru okay.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 5:11 PM   #237

Hi Ted/Steven,

Thanks for your concern. Irene came and went. But boy, did that storm leave a mess. We were to the east of Irene. As a result, we got very little rain. But while we missed the rain, we sure didn't miss any of the wind.

It was wild for well over 10hours. At one point, bored, my wife and I hopped in the car and decided to take a ride. Bad idea The wind was howling, there were branches down everywhere, and the trees swaying as if they were going to snap.

We went home and stayed there 'til this morning.

We are lucky, we have power, no damage and the weather is beautiful. Many others up and down the atlantic coast are not as fortunate as they deal with power outages that will last for days, flooding, and damage to their homes from wind and fallen trees.

We are fortunate.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 5:23 PM   #238

Glad all you guys are OK with no major problems.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2011, 7:05 PM   #239

Default ......an E-3, a D90 and a squirrel in a Ukranian park

.....saw this on Facebook, funniest looking squirrel and it just happened to find the E-3/5 & 70-300 to check out.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tuck-lens.html

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:42 PM   #240

I think he's just a redneck squirrel who decided to say to his drinking buddies, "Hey, y'all, watch this!"