Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:51 PM   #371

Ken - do Bryce Canyon also.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:16 PM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Ken - do Bryce Canyon also.
And don't forget to do Zion also.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:53 PM   #373

And, Ken, aren't you happy that Steven and I agreed not to do any smart-ass remarks about us thinking that photo really is you, not Henry Fonda?

Ted
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:03 PM   #374

Heading for Vegas in a couple of days for our mini-spring break vacations (my wife is a teacher). I hope to be able to do a couple of good shots when we are there.

Anybody knows if going to the Hoover Dam is a good idea? We say our share of Dams back east but this one seems special? And ca you bring your camera in it?

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:32 PM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Heading for Vegas in a couple of days for our mini-spring break vacations (my wife is a teacher). I hope to be able to do a couple of good shots when we are there.

Anybody knows if going to the Hoover Dam is a good idea? We say our share of Dams back east but this one seems special? And ca you bring your camera in it?
Yes, Hoover is very interesting. take the tour and go inside it. And be sure and go to Red Rock Canyon. Beautiful place to photograph and very close to downtown. And it you have time, go up to Valley of the Fire.

Red Rock Canyon:

Valley of fire:
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:01 PM   #376

Been there, done that and bought the teeshirt..

Thanks ladies, we'll probably revisit these places as we head for Monument Valley and back. Sharon loves the Anasazi and "old peoples" places so we'll go to Canyon de Chelly as well. Thinking of a guided jeep tour in there, actually it's the only way they let you into the back country there. I saw a Art Wolfe program featuring the canyon, quite immpressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
And, Ken, aren't you happy that Steven and I agreed not to do any smart-ass remarks about us thinking that photo really is you, not Henry Fonda?
You spotted it, and I thought I could get away with it. I guess the horse gave me away, I'm a trail bike sortta guy...
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:58 PM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Sharon loves the Anasazi and "old peoples" places so we'll go to Canyon de Chelly as well. Thinking of a guided jeep tour in there, actually it's the only way they let you into the back country there.
That's correct - they do that for 2 reasons. They don't have much other income, and also they live, farm, and ranch in the canyon so they don't want tourists roaming around unsupervised (they've had such a great experience with us bilagaana in the past). It is a good place to see, especially Spider Rock:

(Photo from 2004 with the E-20. What you're looking at is over 800 feet tall.)

If Sharon loves the Anasazi then you really should go to Chaco Canyon - that was the cultural center for them, quite well restored, and not that far from Monument Valley ("far" being a relative word in the Southwest). IIRC archeologists found evidence of trade with the Mayans there. That's a long way away from northwest New Mexico and indicated a much more sophisticated culture than any white people had expected.

Ted

PS: Chelly is pronounced "Shay". And alcohol is forbidden in the Navajo nation, including Monument Valley.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:28 PM   #378

I believe I have that photo Ted, I took mine with the old OM2 though from the lookout on the rim.. That and White House, fantastic area isn't it? We camped in Chaco in our old VW camper 'several' moons back. In the snow. Went up Mesa Verde after that, some great stuff all around. Drove accompianied by Carlos Nakai flute music tapes.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:48 PM   #379

Quote:
I believe I have that photo Ted, I took mine with the old OM2 though from the lookout on the rim..
Same place I shot it from! You really can't get far enough away from it to shoot it from the base.

Quote:
That and White House, fantastic area isn't it? We camped in Chaco in our old VW camper 'several' moons back. In the snow.
It is a great area. I miss living in northern Arizona every day.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:12 PM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Same place I shot it from! You really can't get far enough away from it to shoot it from the base.

It is a great area. I miss living in northern Arizona every day.
Love that photo, had to look again.
Where did you live there? We got snowed in, in Flagstaff just before Xmas one year, slid off into the nearest motel car park.

We lived in Park City Utah back in the 80's that was part of our run around trip. My daughter lived in Scottsdale for a while and we had friends in Sedonia.

You know, nobody's mention Arches. Used to be a fav place of ours for walks and off roading. You were/ are supposed to camp in campgrounds but we used to hide in the canyons to be alone.

Mum and dad came to stay for a summer from Liverpool once. so I borrowed a friends Winibago and did the trip. Got them a cabin in Zion lodge for one night while we went to all the places, sets, they used in Butch Cassidy. They loved it especially my dad he loved that climate. He wanted a houseboat in Glen Canyon. Lake Powell..

Last edited by Scouse; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:18 PM.