Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:32 PM   #421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
LOL Has your "friend" been acting strange lately???
Hmmmmmmmmmm.... now that you mention it.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 7:06 AM   #422

Default Someone woke up the Oly USA marketing team

They had a real advertising insert in the Sunday paper yesterday (the washington Post in the DC metro area). The front page had the VR-340 P&S in all five colors (including a bright fuscia that I know would be a big hit with Florida photographers ) and an E-PM1. Inside was more Pens and the E-M5. Below the E-M5 was a photo of all the 43 and 43 lenses grouped together, indicating that the E-M5 is a system camera.

I wonder if the marketing team will go back to sleep, or actually remain awake...
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 1:12 PM   #423

That is interesting to know Ted. Maybe they doled out a little money to Olympus America from the cash flow of the advance sales of the E-M5. It would be nice to see some needed marketing hit the mainstream media.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 6:56 PM   #424

Default WTH is with this place?!?!?

I've posted photo after photo and I get like 70-80 views and NO (as in ZERO) freakin' comments!! The ONLY place I get comments on a regular basis is in the Oly DSLR forum. So, here we go. I have 3 decent cameras I shoot with. Two Oly's and a Fuji HS-20 (bridge camera). I figure that gets me membership here, eh? I'm going to start posting my Fuji stuff here if you guys don't mind. If you do, let me know and I'm outta here. I consider you guys my friends and mentors but I'm not going to stick around where I'm obviously being ostracized, or at VERY least, ignored by the general populace. That said, here's the first one!

This rose is SO difficult to get the right shade on -- impossible outside. To get even remotely close (which this is), I had to use a custom WB and softbox. The flash had a 1/4 blue gel, down to 1/2 power. And, it STILL isn't as dark red-purple as it is in real life. But, it poses well.

Before (with all the hoohah)

I GOT IT!! I covered the window with a shower curtain and shot in ambient light and... VOILA!! THIS is what it should look like!The TRUE Mystique (a little too much in the water department, but I'll take it!!)
My Gallery

--
Old May 10, 2012, 7:40 PM   #425

Gary, that second one is stunning, simply stunning. If you posted that in a forum and got no comments, you're right to move on from that forum.

And as far as I am concerned, you can post here with the Fuji camera too (it might motivate me to get out and use my Fuji FinePix E550 occasionally). I think the moderators would want your primary activity to be Oly DSLR but they don't seem to mind when I post an occasional L1 4/3 photo. Look at message #9 in this sticky thread - when Dustin (Hards80) made it a sticky he said, "I am always in support of community building ideas."

Of course, you'll have to agree to put up with an occasional Neil Diamond reference, which certainly builds community among the rest of us...

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 8:07 PM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Gary, that second one is stunning, simply stunning. If you posted that in a forum and got no comments, you're right to move on from that forum.

And as far as I am concerned, you can post here with the Fuji camera too (it might motivate me to get out and use my Fuji FinePix E550 occasionally). I think the moderators would want your primary activity to be Oly DSLR but they don't seem to mind when I post an occasional L1 4/3 photo. Look at message #9 in this sticky thread - when Dustin (Hards80) made it a sticky he said, "I am always in support of community building ideas."

Of course, you'll have to agree to put up with an occasional Neil Diamond reference, which certainly builds community among the rest of us...

Ted
This forum will be the only one I'll be posting in from now on, Ted. I've left other sites for the same crap but you guys are more than OK in my book. Let's face it, I learned a LOT of stuff from you guys!!

Thanks for the comment regarding the second shot. I spent well over 2 1/2 hours getting that color and countless shots with different lighting combinations. Wouldn't ya know, the simplest turned out to work! Go figger!
My Gallery

--
Old May 10, 2012, 8:14 PM   #427

That is an absolute beautiful shot Gary. Often in life, as you said, the simpliest solution is often the best.

I think you should post your shots here. (It probably would be a good idea to identify when it is Fuji.) And it is always neat to post comparable shots of a subject with the Fuji and the Olympus.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 8:18 PM   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
That is an absolute beautiful shot Gary. Often in life, as you said, the simpliest solution is often the best.

I think you should post your shots here. (It probably would be a good idea to identify when it is Fuji.) And it is always neat to post comparable shots of a subject with the Fuji and the Olympus.
Thanks, Steve. I had that very thought in mind. Great minds...
My Gallery

--
Old May 10, 2012, 8:45 PM   #429

I have to say that although I really enjoy this forum I would enjoy it more if we talked about technique more. For example, Gary, you really have mastered the lighting you use for your flower still-lifes. I'd like to see you back up and take a photo of the setup, and talk about it.

And I wish folks would discuss post-processing. Greg C. and Zig used to, but they moved on to the m43 forum. Some of you don't realize how easy it is to turn a good photo into a great one - you post photos that I want to tweak and re-post but I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I'm not saying I'm a master at PP but I can tell you that I haven't posted an out-of-the-camera photo here in years, so if you like the IQ of my images that's a major reason why. I'd like to get better at it so I'd enjoy some comradeship in the PP area. And if you think there's something "false" about modifying the attributes of a photo in a digital darkroom you don't realize that a) most all of the photos historically considered great were produced in a darkroom, and b) the jpeg you get out of your camera merely represents the results of decisions made by the engineers working in the camera manufacturer's lab.

Ted
Old May 10, 2012, 8:57 PM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I have to say that although I really enjoy this forum I would enjoy it more if we talked about technique more. For example, Gary, you really have mastered the lighting you use for your flower still-lifes. I'd like to see you back up and take a photo of the setup, and talk about it.

And I wish folks would discuss post-processing. Greg C. and Zig used to, but they moved on to the m43 forum. Some of you don't realize how easy it is to turn a good photo into a great one - you post photos that I want to tweak and re-post but I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I'm not saying I'm a master at PP but I can tell you that I haven't posted an out-of-the-camera photo here in years, so if you like the IQ of my images that's a major reason why. I'd like to get better at it so I'd enjoy some comradeship in the PP area. And if you think there's something "false" about modifying the attributes of a photo in a digital darkroom you don't realize that a) most all of the photos historically considered great were produced in a darkroom, and b) the jpeg you get out of your camera merely represents the results of decisions made by the engineers working in the camera manufacturer's lab.

Ted
Amen, Ted! I'll do just that. My lighting has evolved somewhat although, I'm a BIG fan of ambient light. I started "seriously" using OCF about a year ago. I've tried different diffusion methods (snoots, grids, BOGOs, etc.) but I just got my first "real" softbox and I must say it has got to be the ultimate. Not a huge one, 16" square, but for what I do, I don't need a big, honkin' one. If I need something bigger, I have umbrellas. I also started using gels. Nothing real major. Just enough to give a HINT of warm or cool. As you've already surmised, I shoot against black velvet. I suppose it's sort of become my signature. It provides pure, rich, black unlike anything else. I'll take some shots of my set-up and post outside of this thread.
My Gallery

--