Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:18 PM   #451

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Maybe so - I'm hoping they honor their promise.

The cine lenses in 4/3 does surprise me. One of the main uses of the 4/3 lenses is the highly-regarded Panasonic 4/3 sensor video cameras and they now are being produced with a m43 mount rather than 4/3.
Yes, that was confusing to me also. Not being a video shooter, can you use movie lens for still shots??
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:21 PM   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Yes, that was confusing to me also. Not being a video shooter, can you use movie lens for still shots??
You can, but the lens is usually completely manual. I,e. not autofocus and not auto either. (For those who didn't use film cameras, an auto lens means the iris is auto - it stays wide open regardless of the f-stop you choose, then stops down to the chosen f-stop when you press the shutter release.*) So you have to treat a cine lens just like a legacy lens - focus, stop down, then shoot. But that's not gonne be a problem with these fast Rokinon lenses, because no one will be stopping them down (otherwise why did they buy it?).

* BTW, one thing I've never understood is why everyone worries about how many shutter actuations a used camera body has, but no one worries about how many iris stop-downs a used lens has. Of course , that's not being recorded by the lens but worse, no manufacturer I'm aware of, will tell you what the MTBF for a lens iris is like they will for the camera's shutter. Deep, deep mysteries here...

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:33 PM   #453

Another thought just struck me: Is it possible that Rokinon has inside info that the E-5 sucessor will have a superior movie function??
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:04 AM   #454

Quote:
Another thought just struck me: Is it possible that Rokinon has inside info that the E-5 sucessor will have a superior movie function??
Maybe. That does seem to be an important feature for some people. It's strange to me because all the pro videographers I know, expect and use a power zoom on their cine lenses - the vibration of manually zooming a lens is an anathema to them.

But I really do think that if Oly releases an E-7, it will be more than just a warmed over EM-5.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:15 PM   #455

Per the latest info on the 43rumors website, the Oly E-7 is coming in the 2nd half of 2013, so it is still a year away.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:59 AM   #456

Quote:
Per the latest info on the 43rumors website, the Oly E-7 is coming in the 2nd half of 2013, so it is still a year away.
That seems wrong - they've been promising it for a while. I suspect that may be a smokescreen.

Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:55 AM   #457

Default Intense

The August issue of Popular Photography had one of the best sports photos I've seen.

http://www.ronwyattphotos.com/#/olym.../Olympicweb_48

Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:10 PM   #458

Default Olympics Canadian Relay Team

http://great-ads.blogspot.ca/2012/07...pic-relay.html

Good for a laugh
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:52 AM   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
That's funny, and really well done. To really understand it I had to look up RONA - they don't have a presence in the US.

Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:05 PM   #460

Quote:
Intense
The August issue of Popular Photography had one of the best sports photos I've seen.

http://www.ronwyattphotos.com/#/olym.../Olympicweb_48
Yes, I saw that. It is an excellent sports shot.

Quote:
Olympics Canadian Relay Team
http://great-ads.blogspot.ca/2012/07...pic-relay.html

Good for a laugh
That is very well done and funny.