Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:13 PM   #41

Steven,
As I've said, my goal wasn't to start a "nikon is better than olympus" or vice-versa thread. It is just the impressions of someone who moved from the e-xxx bodies to the d7000. In a sense, then, the discussion of which brand is better doesn't even matter, as for all intents and purposes it seems we won't get another e-xxx body, and likely no e-xx body either.

That said, I agree with some of what was posted (quality of olympus lenses, lightness of the system, the advantages of IBIS) but other stuff there is either very context dependent (the quality of the jpeg engine, innovation,) or not as true anymore (value when the only new dslr body is $1700).

So, as I said, my goal is not to drag this into the endless oly vs canikon debate, and I would still be a happy olympus shooter if they hadn't all but given up on the ~1200 and under segment of the dslr market. I am in no way suggesting that the decisions I've taken are the only right ones.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:51 PM   #42

Hi dlpin: I posted that info to this thread as a bit of information that I had just come across; I was too lazy to create a new thread..

I had even forgot that you had posted about the Nikon; it wasn't a response to your post. I know we all have different tastes and different photographic expectations. Besides, this thread was created just for such a hodge-pod of different thoughts, ideas, and opinions. Keep'em coming.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:05 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi dlpin: I posted that info to this thread as a bit of information that I had just come across; I was too lazy to create a new thread..

I had even forgot that you had posted about the Nikon; it wasn't a response to your post. I know we all have different tastes and different photographic expectations. Besides, this thread was created just for such a hodge-pod of different thoughts, ideas, and opinions. Keep'em coming.
No worries. I just wanted to really stress the fact that I wasn't advocating one over the other. As we all know "democrat vs republican" debates can seem very tame in comparison to the usual "canikon vs the rest" debates, so I just wanted to reinforce that, as this forum has been (thankfully) free of that stuff.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:41 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpin View Post
this forum has been (thankfully) free of that stuff.
We're a pretty friendly group. Dunno about everyone else here but I have enough clients who are jerks, to be very disinterested in engaging with any in my hobbies. So when a thread over at DPR has more than some 30 posts I ignore it since it's likely to have been taken over by the members who enjoy fighting with each other. (I think they see trolls when there really aren't any, just to have a fight.)

The Fourthirdsphoto forum is another forum with friendly members who help each other.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:17 PM   #45

Hey Zig, when are you flying south with the geese? It's about that time isn't it. I enjoyed you photos last winter.
How far is the drive and how long do you take? That's not a short trip? But do it safely and enjoy.
Ken
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Hey Zig, when are you flying south with the geese?
The thought of Zig flapping his arms all the way to Florida, is difficult for me to visualize.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
the thought of zig flapping his arms all the way to florida, is difficult for me to visualize.

Ted
lol!!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:58 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
The thought of Zig flapping his arms all the way to Florida, is difficult for me to visualize.

Ted
Oh, I can see him flapping....It's when he stops the problems start...
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:21 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Hey Zig, when are you flying south with the geese? It's about that time isn't it. I enjoyed you photos last winter.
How far is the drive and how long do you take? That's not a short trip? But do it safely and enjoy.
Ken
Hi Ken,

My wife and I go to Marco Island -down in the southern tip of Florida- in March. We'll be there for the month. Right now, we're still planning and itinerary. So, we're not sure when we're leaving exactly.

We'd like to break the trip up over about 5 to 6 days, staying at home of a couple of different friends along the way. We'll do the same on the way back.
That makes the driving a lot easier on both ends and adds about 2 weeks to the trip.

All told. we should be gone for 6 weeks. Ample time for me to get a new batch of birds, gators and other critters photos. The Mac is again coming along on the trip. I'll be able to stay in touch with all the folks on the Oly Forum.

Gotta keep an eye on them as I'm beginning to get concerned over their fixation with rivets????

Thanks for asking and have a safe trip down to your neck of the woods.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 1:52 PM   #50

Default Cutty Sark

What seems an eon ago while living in England, I snapped this image of the Cutty Sark whilst in Greenwich. What's unique about this image is that it's been digitally developed from the negative. I picked up a VuPoint film & slide "scanner" at the local Goodwill for $2. It was brand-new, still in shrink-wrap! So now I'm going through the house digging out negatives.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote