Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:24 AM   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Steve, I've been busy too but like James I'm planning some rail photos. Which require a telephoto and a viewfinder not a camera at arm's length. #snark

James, I recently discovered that you can easily listen to railroad communications (don't tell your wife I said this). They're at 160 mHz, and you don't need to spend a lot of money for a scanner - I just ordered the ICom IC-v82 which has a good reputation:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121374380048...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edit: The reason I ordered it is that due to security concerns, railroads won't anymore tell you their freight train schedules. I have a couple of great locations for a train photo but I can't just camp out there all day - I need to get more specific on schedules, which I think the rail radio will help with.
Thank you but I know the schedules in this area by heart. :-) I'd like to share a few photos here. This first photo is one I took of a Lakeside RR train headed to Norther Michigan. This line was formerly the Detroit and Mackinaw RR.

IMG_0143 Edited by James Gasta, on Flickr

The next two photos are what our railroad yard looked like back in the 40's when it was New York Central. Now it is Huron Eastern Railroad. Most of the roundhouse still exists but it has been bought by Dobson heavy equipment company.

MCRRWenonaRoundhouse021056[ELNovak-CharlieWhippCollection] by James Gasta, on Flickr
MCRRWenonaYardBackshop100556[ELNovakPhotoCharlieWhippCollection] - Copy by James Gasta, on Flickr
MCRRWenonaYardBackshop100556[ELNovakPhotoCharlieWhippCollection] - Copy by James Gasta, on Flickr

The next two are photos of old passenger stations in my city that are no longer in existence. The first is the old Michigan Central RR and the second is the Grand Trunk RR.

MC-BayCityWestSideStoneDepot[AlanLoftisColl] by James Gasta, on Flickr
GTWBayCityStation[BobSmithColl] by James Gasta, on Flickr
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:41 AM   #492

Very interesting, James. Those shots look like they could be published in a history book.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:06 PM   #493

Thanks Steve,

I do remember those two train stations. In fact, the second station photo is where my father and I left one year by train excursion to see a Detroit Tiger ball game.

As far as the railroad yard shots, I do recall as a young boy playing near there quite often until the workers kicked us out. There were quite a few steam engines then and diesel service just began as evidenced by the one photo which shows a diesel switcher, either a GMD SW900 or newer version. Didn't see too many diesels back then and when you did it was much the same reaction as when you see an old restored steam engine going by these days. The rail cars were also more colorful with two and three tone paint jobs. Now it's pretty plain Jane, couple of letters for the owner of the car and the number of the car. I sure miss those old rail days and to relive them you have to model that time period in a HO scale model railroad. HO incidentally means half of O scale. :-)
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:20 PM   #494

Default I'm progressing my stroke recovery

Hi everyone. I currently have twice a week physical therapy, and I can see progress/ The therapists all agree that eventually I will be able to walk again; For now, I am walking wih a walker. The next stage is to walk with a cane, and then to rgain enough balance and strength to walk on my own. Again, I want to thank everyone for the kind expressions of sympathy. They are much appreciated. My best wishes to everyone on the forum. Sincerely, steve Redding
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:30 PM   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi everyone. I currently have twice a week physical therapy, and I can see progress/ The therapists all agree that eventually I will be able to walk again; For now, I am walking wih a walker. The next stage is to walk with a cane, and then to rgain enough balance and strength to walk on my own. Again, I want to thank everyone for the kind expressions of sympathy. They are much appreciated. My best wishes to everyone on the forum. Sincerely, steve Redding

wha?
gezus Steve what the hell happened?
I scrolled back a few pages and am none the wiser

Still, the important thing is you have mobility in your future, makes me remember that this can be more difficult for some.

Ive recently quit my photography career to build a boat

best wished to you Steve and the ol fellow members I havent seen or heard of for some time
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:58 PM   #496

G'day Steven

Riley ... I seem to remember from some time back that Steven mentioned some foot issues that made walking difficult to impossible

Whatever it is / was ... it's beaut to hear from Steven that he's back on track and soon to be able to get out & about with his beloved m4/3 system

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:32 PM   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
wha?
gezus Steve what the hell happened?
I scrolled back a few pages and am none the wiser

Still, the important thing is you have mobility in your future, makes me remember that this can be more difficult for some.

Ive recently quit my photography career to build a boat

best wished to you Steve and the ol fellow members I havent seen or heard of for some time

Hi Riley: I am recovering from a big stroke that I had back on March6th, 2017. I was in the hospital for quite a long time, as the doctors were also working on some heart problems that was discovered sfter ny stroke.
Good luck on the boat building project. that sounds like hard work.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:59 AM   #498

OMG Steve, I wish you a fast and speedy recovery. I did not have quite that bad of an experience last summer but was in the hospital three times for stents. Feeling 100% better now. Work hard on therapy and you will soon be out taking those gorgeous bird shots.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:10 PM   #499

Default I am walking again.

I have "graduated" from my Physical Therapy walking classes. After my stroke landed me flat on my back and unable to walk, I have been in physical therapy 2 to 3 times each week for about the past 6 months. Now, no longer do I have to go to therapy. I have attained all their required goals for strength, balance, and endurance. My walker is totally gone, replaced by only a cane. My cane and I can go just about anywhere. So far my heart problems are being controlled by medication.I feel truly Blessed.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:01 PM   #500

Hi Steven,

This is good news to me and I am very happy for you that you made a recovery. Now you can get back to taking those gorgeous bird shots and get your mind off all you have been through.