Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:14 PM   #51

$2, not bad. I'm "still" planing on getting one to sort my chest full of Kodakchrome slides.

Nice pic. Obviously before the fire. My first visit to Greenwich was as a visitor with some American friends.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:52 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
What seems an eon ago while living in England, I snapped this image of the Cutty Sark whilst in Greenwich. What's unique about this image is that it's been digitally developed from the negative. I picked up a VuPoint film & slide "scanner" at the local Goodwill for $2. It was brand-new, still in shrink-wrap! So now I'm going through the house digging out negatives.
$2?? $2?? Still in shrink wrap??
Gary, don't you know it's not nice to steal.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:25 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
$2?? $2?? Still in shrink wrap??
Gary, don't you know it's not nice to steal.
I consider it a gift, Steve. heheheh
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:49 PM   #54

Default Da Boat. The SV Scouse. Epilog....!

Epilog.

So there I was the other day, totally discouraged watching my boat a high tide laying on the bottom with the water above the windows not moving.

Yesterday at low I went aboard ripped out the quarter berth to expose to 6 foot split in the side at water line with pieces of fibreglass missing I could put my fist through, No wonder it wouldn't lift. I took a bunch of towels folded about 4 thick and laid them over the gash. Laid the vinyl coated cockpit cushions over them and put a piece of 1/2 in ply, 12 inches wide, 7 foot long over that. Then took 6, 2x4's and wedged them from the ply to the other side of the boat, jammed tight. Then I drilled a hole through the solid lead keel, near the base and put in an eye bolt, ran a length of chain though and stowed the chain on deck.

This morning I got out to the boat as the tide was getting up. Yeh, crotch deep in f********* freezing sea water, in Levi's to boot. Dropped the Hona gen set. into the cockpit and hooked up a 1/2 horse septic pump to it and dropped it in there. My, you should have see the sh... stuff come gushing outta there. I could have drained the bay.

The boat started rising on the tide and the mast came clear of the trees, about this time my buddy Lawrence launched his boat and came over to grab the chain. By this time the tide was nearly full and the boat was almost upright, He took the strain as I bounced the boat but nothing, it wouldn't come. We looked at our watches and said in 1/2 an hour. I moved up and down the length of the boat to keep it as loose as I could, as well as to keep me warm by this time my body core had reaches a minus temp, I was quaking.

Then we tried again, pulled from one angle then another and then....she popped free, sidways, great feeling. We tied to a moring and they ran me ashore for a change of clothes. Layers of fleece, thick wooly socks, insulated boots and a Stearn's float coat. Oh did that feel good. Then headed out into the growing storm.

It was 2 hours to the marina, I called them and they were waiting. The waves were getting pretty big by then, one gust whipped off my favorite cap, damn! My boat was designed for speed and when a wave would get under me I'd surf, almost into the towboat transom. It was quite fun with the wind up my tail but then we turned 90 degrees right into the channel and into the crosswind. I had waves coming right over me and the tow boat started having trouble. The wind was taking him down out of the channel towards the bank and rocks, so every now and then he'd have to turn up into the wind to force it to the other side. I was fine steering, I had a keel!

Then we found the Marina entrance and it was so quiet and still in there, it was hard to believe what we'd been through. The people there had the slings waiting for me and now she's hanging high, dry and with the mast pointing straight into the sky. You know. I never had to pump again all trip. Seems I did something right.

And Sharon was waiting with a nice warm car.

Tomorrow, Terry and I will take the tailer so we can bring her home. Lay her up until the spring. And tonight, I'll sleep!!!!!!

Oh yeh, After an epic trip back headed into the wind and waves my friends made it home. I'll thank them properly tomorrow. The wind will reach into the 50 mph range tonight. Glad it's done.

Finis

Last edited by Scouse; Nov 29, 2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:08 PM   #55

Ken, that's GREAT to hear!! I'm really happy for ya!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:42 PM   #56

Me too, Ken. Time for you to head south.

Ted

PS: What? No photos of the rescue operation?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:44 AM   #57

Ken,

Glad to hear the Scouse and YOU are back in safe haven. I'm sure that Sharon is relieved that that's behind you.

Safe trip down South.......

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:17 AM   #58

Well, that's good news and we are all really relieved.

(I know for you it was a real PITA, but your last narrative almost read like an adventure novel. This is kinda like waiting for the next installment of "Adventures with Ken".)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Well, that's good news and we are all really relieved
...and this does include me.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:49 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Well, that's good news and we are all really relieved.

(I know for you it was a real PITA, but your last narrative almost read like an adventure novel. This is kinda like waiting for the next installment of "Adventures with Ken".)
Thanks to all of you. Everything is fixable....Now!!! Just another project, right???

Actually the narrative was good for me. Got it all out.
I did...Oh wait. We, Sharon and I actually did write a book, 3 editions of one in fact.
Not exactly the "Excellent adventures of Ken" but a teatime cookbook with short stories. Amazon and Barnes and Noble sold quite a few. We were celebs for a while during the "Tea fad of the 90's" tea talks, invites to restaurants. Didn't last though but it was fun.
For fun Google up "Teatime in the Northwest" Sharon and Ken Foster-Lewis.
Sharon of course did most of the writing, spell checked and edited mine. While I took the pics. I still like the 3rd edition cover.