Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:36 PM   #11

Hey Ken

Looks as if pricing for the E30's on the way up - so you might want to pull the trigger sooner than later. From all accounts body only was done to 700USD a month or so ago but is now back upto approx 829.00 USD at B&H. Thats going to be mainly due to the increase in the Yen to US $ and other currencies but we also don;t know how much stock is left out there with the retailers. Personally, I'd get the E30, although for a really small walk about the E620's gonna be great.

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
You guys are a riot..
Hah! But all kidding aside, I personally always want to see a ball club win the World Series, that hasn't been there a gazillion times in the past. I.e. a lot of we baseball fans have the motto "anyone but the Yankees". So the Rangers have already scored a LOT of points with those of us in that group. (Come to think of it, Zig may also be a member of that group.) I really hope the Rangers take the Series.

I have a similar motto for football but this is probably not a good season for me to tell you what that one is, especially after this past weekend. Let's just leave it at the fact that a lot of us are pulling for the Rangers...

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Oct 28, 2010 at 3:42 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:58 PM   #13

Hi Harj, Good idea but I'm afraid it's just on the wish list as of now. Perhaps next summer if we can get our housing market lifting a little.
We're busy right now thanks to a late flurry of business. Just tell people you're going away for a while. It's sure to improve biz.
The size won't be an isssue for me, my big hands will like that.

I didn't realize that the 620 used different batteries. I have a couple of spare I picked up in Hong Kong for the 500 and plenty of 4gig cards.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post

I didn't realize that the 620 used different batteries. I have a couple of spare I picked up in Hong Kong for the 500 and plenty of 4gig cards.
Yes, the BLS-1 battery is quite a bit smaller. The tiny grip of the E620 is simply not big enough for the space a BLM-1 would need.

The one up-side for me is, the same battery for the E620 powers all the Pen cameras too, albeit they get MUCH less life due to the power the accessory VF-2 electronic finder sucks out. You need three of 'em to get through a day of heavy shooting while using the Pen + eyelevel finder.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Yes, the BLS-1 battery is quite a bit smaller. The tiny grip of the E620 is simply not big enough for the space a BLM-1 would need.

The one up-side for me is, the same battery for the E620 powers all the Pen cameras too, albeit they get MUCH less life due to the power the accessory VF-2 electronic finder sucks out. You need three of 'em to get through a day of heavy shooting while using the Pen + eyelevel finder.
Ouch! I didn't think Oly had produced a camera that sucked batteries dry as fast as my E-20 did.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:55 PM   #16

It does....pretty darn fast with that finder attached. A BLS-1 battery can last a good long time in an E620 if you are using the optical finder and the LCD only for reviewing. Put it in a Pen and add the VF-2 finder though and you should never leave the house without two batteries. If I were to take it on vacation I'd want to have one in the camera and two fully-charged in the bag to start each day.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:28 PM   #17

Hi Greg

Crikey.. now that to me sounds like a really good advert for keeping the OVF !! I wonder how long a BLM-1 would last and also .. how long does the battery in the GH1 last ?

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:27 PM   #18

Yep, high resolution electronic finders are very energy-dependent. The very thing they need to improve with those type finders, finder delay/blackout, is only going to cost more and more in energy and require higher capacity batteries.

I don't doubt the E5's higher resolution LCD is going to consume more BLM-1 juice the more one reviews and/or uses live view.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:37 AM   #19

I just upgraded from the E620 to the E30 this week, and I agree with everything Greg has said in regards to differences/improvements. I picked up my E30 for a very good price in Oz.. can't wait to give it a whirl with my 50-200 SWD when I get it back from Olympus repairs.
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by piXelatedEmpire View Post
I just upgraded from the E620 to the E30 this week, and I agree with everything Greg has said in regards to differences/improvements. I picked up my E30 for a very good price in Oz.. can't wait to give it a whirl with my 50-200 SWD when I get it back from Olympus repairs.
Hi Adam,

congrats on getting the E-30. You're going to love it.

Looking forward to viewing your posts when you get the 50-200mm lens back.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote