Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Default E620 or E30 or ?

OK, so I'm about 6 months, or so premature but as I've mentioned before I feel it's time for me to upgrade. Much as I like my old E500, I'm getting left behind. I won't let it go though!

The 2 choices (For me) as I see it are the E620 and the E30. How do you guys feel about yours?????

Opinions on the cameras, what you feel are the best and worst features and would you do it again.

Yes I know there are a lot of pro reviews out there, including Steves but I want comments from people who have made it their lot in life to buy and use them.

That and I need the 50-200...

Last edited by Scouse; Oct 28, 2010 at 2:05 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:05 PM   #2

Greg C. has both as I recall. If you can get him away from watching baseball you can probably give you good comments.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Greg C. has both as I recall. If you can get him away from watching baseball you can probably give you good comments.

LOL! after last night's game, he may want to stay away from baseball for a while.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:27 PM   #4

Ha ha ha!

Fortunately, the Giants do not get to carry those extra runs over to game 2.

The pluses for the E30 over the E620 I have noted are:

(1) much, much better finder,
(2) faster framing rate at 5 FPS. The E620 specs say 4 FPS, but in practice the E30 seems much faster compared to the E620,
(3) faster 1/250 sync for flash, which is great if you do any outdoor portrait work,
(4) the grip is much, much better,
(5) The E30 uses the same BLM-1 battery as your E500 so you do not have to buy more batteries,
(6) the IS system in the E620 is less effective compared to the E30. You can hear an audible difference in the two on shutdown. It seems like Olympus used a lesser system in the E620, and I think that lesser system was carried over to the Pen E-PL1 too as the E-PL1 and E620 sound exactly the same on shutdown.
(7) If you use bigger lenses like the 50-200 (either version), the E620 is not as easy to handle as the E30. With the smaller kit lenses or the 70-300, the E620 is very easy to shoot with.
(8) having the two control wheels makes getting around from one setting to the next much faster than the one back control wheel design of the E620.
(9) The AF system on the E30 is much more reliable in low light. It will snap the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD lenses into focus at levels where the E620 will give up.

The plus for the E620 is size. It is very small and light compared to the E30. The JPEG files from the E620 are more contrasty than the E30, which seems to use a more conservative tone curve than the E620. That to me is more a plus for the E30 as I prefer the higher ISO JPEG's from the E30. That said, I shoot RAW more often than not, but still prefer the E30 RAW files over ones from the E620.

I've enjoyed having access to both. The last time I used the E620 extensively was on a trip to San Francisco in June when I elected to go with the smaller body. I used both of the big lenses (12-60 and 50-200 SWD) with no problems but overall have used the E620 less and less, especially since picking up the little Pen E-PL1.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:41 PM   #5

Well there you go, Ken. He responded and he even typed in "San Francisco" without misspelling it. Still, it must have stuck in his throat...
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:13 PM   #6

Excellent Greg, just the sort of comments I was looking for. That's a big help.
If and when the Real Estate picks up or the gods of lottery smile, (smile ) I can make an informed choice.
Do you have your "Frisco" shots anywhere we might view them. I love visiting there and would love to see what you've done with it.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Well there you go, Ken. He responded and he even typed in "San Francisco" without misspelling it. Still, it must have stuck in his throat...
Rumour has it, they have a decent ball club.......a litle prone to earthquakes though!!!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:16 PM   #8

You guys are a riot..
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Excellent Greg, just the sort of comments I was looking for. That's a big help.
If and when the Real Estate picks up or the gods of lottery smile, (smile ) I can make an informed choice.
Do you have your "Frisco" shots anywhere we might view them. I love visiting there and would love to see what you've done with it.
Yep, they're here..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Travel...97823750_L3FCi

No doubt, we'll be going back. Wouldn't mind living there. I'd just need to find a job paying about twice what I make now.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:30 PM   #10

Hi Ken,

I would add a couple of minor points to Greg's very complete comparison of the two DSLR's

-The E-30 has a slightly larger viewfinder. To my tired eyes, the E-30 viewfinder is a godsend.

-The E-30 has the digital level gauge while the E-620 does not.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote