Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:30 AM   #1

Default Lens question

I am loving my E420, the next lens I want to get is the pancake. Is it only Olympus that make a pancake for the E420 body?

Can any of you Guru's recommends another make?

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:21 AM   #2

Hi, Sam

Dunno what the gurus would say, but as far as I know there is no other pancake for the 4/3 mount. Panasonic makes a couple of pancakes for the 4/3 system but 4/3 lenses won't (actually, cannot) work on the 4/3 mount.

The Oly pancake is a nice lens and (at $206USD) is the third least expensive lens Oly sells. Its optical quality is decent. Not as good (nor as expensive) as many of Oly's other lenses but part of the reason for that is that the pancake design inherently requires some compromises to achieve that very small size. I've noticed that a lot of people on various 4/3 forums (including myself) have and use that lens particularly for street photography where they want the camera to be as inconspicuous as possible. For street photography, ultimate image quality isn't as important as being able to capture the moment. So for that, folks feel the pancake's image quality is just fine. (You don't buy a motorcycle and then complain that you get wet in the rain, you ride it in good weather and have a great time.)

It is particularly favored with the DMC-L1, where you end up with a rig that looks like a Leica rangefinder but is in fact an autofocus DSLR, but a lot of folks also like it on the E-4XX bodies because you also end up with a rig that's small, and lightweight for carrying around.

Be advised that the pancake comes with a remarkably annoying lens cap - it screws into the lens inslead of clipping on like all other Oly lens caps. Most owners of the pancake would advise you to order a 43mm clip-on lens cap or UV filter at the same time you order the lens. This will allow you to immediately leave the screw-on lens cap in the original box for the lens (in case you ever decide to sell the lens someday).

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Oct 30, 2010 at 7:59 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:05 PM   #3

Great advice Ted!
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:59 AM   #4

All the 4/3 lenses ever made are listed at http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/lenses.html

While you're there, click on the "Other Articles" link where you can learn a lot more about your camera.

And here's a site where you can see what any 4/3 lens will look like on your or other 4/3 and micro4/3 bodies...http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/matching.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:08 AM   #5

Thanks, thats a great site. I am just trying to find the funds to get the pancake lens. Wonder where I can sell a kidney! LOL

Kodak Z950
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:33 PM   #6

Have you applied for Amazon store credit? (it's thru GE bank) I've found it ridiculously easy to get financed, and apparently many items have financing promotions (no interest for blah blah months)..
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
Have you applied for Amazon store credit? (it's thru GE bank) I've found it ridiculously easy to get financed, and apparently many items have financing promotions (no interest for blah blah months)..
They don't have that on Amazon UK

Kodak Z950
Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
Like most other store-specific credit cards, the Amazon card's interest rate is pretty high.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 3:34 PM   #9

Yeah, it's not ideal... easy to qualify tho, and I picked up my gear at no interest for six months I think.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
Thats typical ... live in the UK and be ready to be fleeced!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote