Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Edge - I understand - I grew up in the western suburbs of Chicago. Your area really dodged a bullett in that last storm, compared to the rest of the Great Lakes region.

I've seen fall colors in a lot of the US over the years. Dunno if you know this, but one of the best places is southwest Wisconsin - more red leaves mixed with the yellow and green, than anywhere else I've seen. Other places in mountain areas may have equal or better scenery, but not better autumn colors.

Ted
Yeah Wisconsin is phenomenal! I have been there in the fall a few times. I also like Colorado, the aspens are amazing this time of year!
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
See, I'm not too old to learn something new.
I did not know they were nocturnal. I just remember the Saturday morning cartoon shows as a kid, and the beavers chewing down trees.
Yeah, I think a lot of us grew up seeing beavers swimming around in daytime, in TV shows and frankly I was surprised to find out they are nocturnal. So I don't even want to know what the TV producers did to get them to swim around during the day.

If it makes you feel any better, this morning I asked a ranger how they drag the trees they cut down, over to their lodge (the nearest lodge is not very close to that cut-down tree in the photo I posted). She looked at me kinda strangely and said that they pull the trees around just fine through the water.

I am a nuclear physicist and mechanical engineer - I can NOT believe I asked her that question without thinking about it a bit first.

However, I had not had any coffee yet that morning. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Oct 30, 2010 at 4:45 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:46 PM   #13

there is nothing more terrifying than fishing at night and having a territorial beaver come along side the dark side of your boat and slapping its tail on the top of the water....everytime they do this to me I almost fall outta the boat!
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 5:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=edge=- View Post
there is nothing more terrifying than fishing at night and having a territorial beaver come along side the dark side of your boat and slapping its tail on the top of the water....everytime they do this to me I almost fall outta the boat!
Jeeez - I'll bet you do, especially since they don't make any noise swimming. Hell of a way for them to announce themselves in the dark...

Ted
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:12 PM   #15

Ted

Those are real nice... looks like the 14-35F2 was out shooting! I just love the colours you guys get in the fall ...all 3 are cracking and the colours look just great.

we don't get anything like that here, well in London anyway ..

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Ted
Those are real nice... looks like the 14-35F2 was out shooting!
Harj
Hah! I knew I was going to do some hiking, up and down hills, on an undeveloped trail. Which one of these would you have grabbed? (Hint - the one on the left starts to feel like a watermelon if you carry it long enough and if you don't have a backpack-style camera bag.)

I think it's pretty neat that you thought the photos came from Oly SHG glass. I keep telling folks that if you could only have one lens and it needed to cover a wide range of requirements, that lens is the PL Vario Elmar 14-150mm. If it were water resistant it would fit between the Oly HG and SHG classifications (and would be SHG if it were faster).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Ted

I just love the colours you guys get in the fall ...all 3 are cracking and the colours look just great.

we don't get anything like that here, well in London anyway ..

Cheers

Harj
I didn't know that. London has a lot of really beautiful public parks - I'm surprised the leaves don't change color in the autumn.

Ted
__________________________________________________ _

"See, sweetheart, I really do need three cameras. How else would i take a picture like this..."