Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:01 PM   #1

Default Ya wanna download your pics wirelessly?

If you're interested take a look at this thread. Apparently it does work:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36762538

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
If you're interested take a look at this thread. Apparently it does work:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36762538

Ted
To clarify this thread more, here are 2 explanations:

1. For Zig: (who loves detailed technical explanations after he's had enough coffee) the issue is that you can't put the WiFi card inside of a Faraday Cage if you want it to receive its transmissions outside the Cage.

2. In English: the WiFi transmitter won't work well if it's surrounded by metal, which blocks the RF signal. So CarlEstes was saying that the SD-to-CD adapter can't have a metal ring around it, nor can the flashcard door be metal. I dunno if this means the E-3 door is a problem, but the E-5 apparently is not, nor should the other Oly DSLRs be a problem.

Ted
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:59 PM   #3

um, HUH?
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:02 PM   #4

Hi Ted

Now that would be pretty handy to have around esp if you just shooting quicksnaps... I wonder what the transfer speeds are like ?

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:31 AM   #5

What the poster on DPR failed to mention is you have to STOP SHOOTING in order to transmit the pictures from the card to the computer...it doesn't transmit while you are using the camera! You have to stop and put the camera down with it on in order for the pictures to be sent to the computer.

At a recent camera tradeshow I saw these guys touting their latest version of the card, and I asked them if they've overcome this limitation...their answer was NO!

So it's a NO SALE to me!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:57 AM   #6

Quote:
To clarify this thread more, here are 2 explanations:

1. For Zig: (who loves detailed technical explanations after he's had enough coffee) the issue is that you can't put the WiFi card inside of a Faraday Cage if you want it to receive its transmissions outside the Cage.

Ted
Hi Ted,

I need a 2nd cup of Joe b4 I read this one.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
What the poster on DPR failed to mention is you have to STOP SHOOTING in order to transmit the pictures from the card to the computer...it doesn't transmit while you are using the camera! You have to stop and put the camera down with it on in order for the pictures to be sent to the computer.

At a recent camera tradeshow I saw these guys touting their latest version of the card, and I asked them if they've overcome this limitation...their answer was NO!

So it's a NO SALE to me!
If you're not shooting at your house, my impression is that it can be downloading the files to your home while you're traveling (assuming it can establish and maintain a series of connections. It can be downloading to your laptop while you're driving but of course you don't need wireless for that.) Also there are some folks that would find it more convenient at home, than removing the card, putting it in a reader, and initiating a manual file transfer.

I'm not personally all that interested but I can envision situations where folks would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Ted

Now that would be pretty handy to have around esp if you just shooting quicksnaps... I wonder what the transfer speeds are like ?

Cheers

Harj
Apparently the speed isn't bad, although he did say if you want jpegs along with the RAWs you're better off setting the jpegs to be small.

Wireless isn't ever likely to be as fast as a wired connection. Especially with the future USB3 card readers.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Nov 3, 2010 at 6:36 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,

I need a 2nd cup of Joe b4 I read this one.
Look at the bright side: When you're in an elevator and someone starts whining about losing their cell phone connection you can tell them not to try to use the phone inside of a Faraday Cage.

Ted
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Look at the bright side: When you're in an elevator and someone starts whining about losing their cell phone connection you can tell them not to try to use the phone inside of a Faraday Cage.

Ted
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post

So it's a NO SALE to me!
As I think about this more, I'm not sure the flashcard protocol allows read and write at the same time. They might not be able to do what you're asking.

Ted