Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2010, 6:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Nice series Zig, once agin you have done the Oly community a good service. I wish my 135-400 was as sharp as yours. I rarely use it anymore though your tests inspired me and I think it may focus better on my E-500 than on the E-1 in which case it could be of use still. You're right about getting soft at the long end. It's not really any sharper than my Tokina 400/5.6 at 400mm, just with no PF.

John

Hi John,

One of the benfits of using the E-30 is the E-30s' ability to calibrate a lens and then store that information for future use. When I first tried out the Sigma 135-400mm, it became apparent that I was having issues with it focusing properly. ( I can't remember now if it was front or back focusing).

After calibrating the focus settings on the E-30 to accomodate the Sigma, It really improved the sharpness- not as good as the 50-200mm +EC20, but the improvement was areadily apparent.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 6:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Nice job with both lenses, but I still give the 50-200 the edge.

Thanks Greg. Without doubt, the 50-200mm is the better lens.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:05 PM   #13

Really sharp shots, zig. While we can give credit that both lens perform well in your shots, I think it's true that it's not the equipment, it's the photographer that makes the shot work.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote