Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:25 PM   #11

it wasn't built for macs. Just switch to Library mode, the tabs in the upper right of the application...i've a sneaking suspicion you're in develop mode.
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:11 PM   #12

Hey Ted

Ok... with LR.. you need to just change the way you would normally work on your pics for the workflow compared to say CS4/5 etc. Its a pretty natural way of having a really nice and easy work flow, although I really didn;t use it until I went through the Kelby Lr2 tutorials.

Ted, Check out this LR 3 tutorilas - theyre pretty handy and straight forward:

Importing pics into LR 3 ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDOJFuFSeKg

A really good one on a basic intro to Lr:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5kAB...eature=related

Cheers

HArj

Last edited by HarjTT; Nov 7, 2010 at 8:42 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:57 AM   #13

Thanks for your help, guys.

I do realize that LR has a particular workflow and that I need to learn to use it. Right now I have a very, very specific problem that makes no sense. A long time ago, for ease of backup I routed the windoze My Documents folder to a folder named DATA, within which is the My Pictures folder. Here's the top part of the list:

And here is the top part of the folder list I get in LR:

Notice anything different? Yep, the DATA folder is not displayed. WTF?

I can work around this but it is incomprehensible, and stupid...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:29 AM   #14

Ted, my experience with Adobe products is probably why I refuse to buy any of their photo software like Photoshop and Lightroom, etc. They may very well be the excellent programs, but we have so many problems with the Adobe products that I use at work, that I tend to avoid the Adobe products when ever possible. To list all the things wrong with their products would take a book, so I'll just sympathize with you.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=edge=- View Post
hahah...my biggest gripe about LR! the photos are cataloged based on import and not the windows file system....I hate it as well.
I was pretty upset at Adobe yesterday (and am still peeved about the missing folder) but I can work around that. The Develop module is very powerful, and way easier to use than Photoshop. (Of course, based on my experience building a fine piece of furniture is easier than using Photoshop.)

Ted
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I was pretty upset at Adobe yesterday (and am still peeved about the missing folder) but I can work around that. The Develop module is very powerful, and way easier to use than Photoshop. (Of course, based on my experience building a fine piece of furniture is easier than using Photoshop.)

Ted
I am a fan of fine furniture, perhaps I could be a client?

Adobe products aren't really troublesome, they just have a really high learning curve..imagine using autocad for 3 months and expecting to know enough to be in a pro environment with it.....just isn't going to happen. Since Lightroom I have probably forgotten half the Photoshop stuff I used to know and I've been using it since '94...Lightroom is an experience that just makes me giddy everytime I use it, sure I get frustrated at times, but it is such a powerful tool and capable of so many things. Just imagine if we never had it and we had to take our cf cards to a photo lab so they could develop our photos on their proprietary software...it would be a world of suck....period. I've sent color-corrected CMYK prints to some of the big print companies and they have managed to destroy the image because of the bufoons they have chimping the presses. I recommend just playing around with Lightroom, spend a day in develop mode and export your work to photoshop and play with it there too, get used to the workflow aspect..it is a diamond, albeit in the rough, the cut is up to the user.
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:51 PM   #17

I've only recently started using LR2. So now I have to buy another. Planned obsolescence from Adobe....Hmmm.

Last edited by Scouse; Nov 8, 2010 at 10:54 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=edge=- View Post
...it is such a powerful tool and capable of so many things.

I recommend just playing around with Lightroom, spend a day in develop mode and export your work to photoshop and play with it there too, get used to the workflow aspect..it is a diamond, albeit in the rough, the cut is up to the user.
The photo I posted to start this thread took very little time to PP in LR Develop mode. I'm very, very happy with the Develop mode; after reading the instructions on the Adobe site it's clear that it will quickly do everything I used to do in ACR, and allow me to way more easily do things that were kind of a pain in Photoshop. It's just taken me a lot longer than it should have, to just get RAW files onto LR's radar screen.

I finally decided to do something I've been thinking about for a while, to simplify managing folders of photos. I used EASEUS Partition Master to carve out a separate partition on my C drive, made it another logical drive, and moved all my folders of photos there. Now LR can look at a drive letter all it's own.

Are you using the LR 3.3 beta? I'm wondering if the beta is part of the reason the Library functions strangely. For example, when I started out I had created a Catalog I called "All Photos" and imported a few photos into it. Last night I created a new Catalog named "For Processing" and imported a number of files into it. When I went back to the Library, there is no "For Processing" catalog at all, but all the photos I imported are sitting in the original "All Photos" catalog. It's this kind of bizarre behavior that tells me I don't really want to depend on LR to manage my photos, just to do the PP on them with the Develop mode.

Ted
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:52 PM   #19

Hi ted

I've never seen LR do that before ! I'm assuming that your using 3.3 but if not I;d download and install that from their website. I don;t like the change they made to the way the import works in LR3 (no2 had it pretty perfect) but pic management has been pretty painless. I've only had one problem and that was working in LR3 beta and later updating to a RC which nuked the catalog. Right now, I've got LR managing over 30k images (99% crap - but hey .. I need to sort them out) and now that I know the app better it really allows you to manage and filter out just the images that you want to work on. The develop module is very easy to work with and theres quiet a few really handy tools built into it... no CS replacement but its very very handy at cutting down how much retouching if any you need to do later.

I also usually switch off any realtime antivirus scanning when I'm using LR3 after noticing a big hit in performance from moving from Lr2 to 3. You'll notice the difference esp if your viewing lots of thumb nails in the Library module.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:10 PM   #20

Does anyone know if there's an upgrade from LR2, or do I just buy into the new edition.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote