Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:38 PM   #21

Lovely Shot!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Does anyone know if there's an upgrade from LR2, or do I just buy into the new edition.
yes there is absolutely an upgrade! I went from 1.41 to 3.0 myself
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Does anyone know if there's an upgrade from LR2, or do I just buy into the new edition.
For me the primary reason to do an upgrade is to be able to use the latest ACR. A LR upgrade is half the price of a Photoshop upgrade. So despite the goofiness of the Library module in LR, the Develop module (most of which is ACR) is worth it.

Ted

PS: I'd be real happy if Adobe sold ACR all by itself. From what I can tell it doesn't require any other Adobe product to run - it's just set up so that you can't get to it without going through another expensive Adobe product.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Nov 10, 2010 at 6:24 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi ted

I've never seen LR do that before ! I'm assuming that your using 3.3 but if not I;d download and install that from their website. I don;t like the change they made to the way the import works in LR3 (no2 had it pretty perfect) but pic management has been pretty painless. I've only had one problem and that was working in LR3 beta and later updating to a RC which nuked the catalog. Right now, I've got LR managing over 30k images (99% crap - but hey .. I need to sort them out) and now that I know the app better it really allows you to manage and filter out just the images that you want to work on. The develop module is very easy to work with and theres quiet a few really handy tools built into it... no CS replacement but its very very handy at cutting down how much retouching if any you need to do later.

I also usually switch off any realtime antivirus scanning when I'm using LR3 after noticing a big hit in performance from moving from Lr2 to 3. You'll notice the difference esp if your viewing lots of thumb nails in the Library module.

Cheers

Harj
Hi, Harj

The one I purchased was 3.0 but when I installed it and had it check for updates it moved it up to 3.3 RC. When I couldn't manage Catalogs I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, leaving it at 3.0. That didn't make any difference, but probably because you never can really uninstall all of an Adobe product unless you reformat your hard drive. E.g. when I reinstalled it, it didn't ask me for the serial number - how amazing.

So I'm going to put it back as 3.3 RC and live with it.

Ted

PS: What does "RC" stand for?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

PS: What does "RC" stand for?
Release Candidate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwar...ease_candidate ?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
So it's not a beta but not yet a production version. Thanks!

Ted
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:47 AM   #27

I was never able to get used to LR's catalog system. Being a lifelong windows used, the way things are organized on adobe bridge was always more natural to me, so I never switched over to LR.

But it is indeed a nice program, and head and shoulders above both olympus options for raw conversion. Did you guys see that thread over at dpreview on how olympus intentionally cripples the raw conversion of older cameras to make the newer ones look better? (that is, the algorithms available for more recent cameras, and other stuff like art filters, could be used in raw files from older cameras but the software blocks it).

The learning curve with LR is somewhat steep, but at least you get control of most things and are able to avoid that kind of nonsense.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:29 PM   #28

You got it right (at least for me) - LR would be just fine if I could replace its Library module with Adobe Bridge.

Ted