Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:59 PM   #1

Default I really like Lightroom 3

Getting ready for purchasing the E-5 in the next few months and therefore getting ready to process its ORFs, I took Harj's advice and switched from Photoshop CS3 to Lightroom3.

I also bought Kelby's LR3 book but before I read it or did the RTFM on LR3, I just opened a file and processed it in LR3, totally winging it. Not bad IMHO:

Sunrise at the Beach

LR3 is good.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:50 PM   #2

Nice stuff, Ted! Although I use Linux, I can run some Windows software. I downloaded a trial version of LR3 and liked it. What surprised me was how much Digikam is like LR. Although, admittedly, Digikam is not as polished as LR, it does the job quite nicely for me and interfaces with my webhost gallery using Piwigo gallery software, Picasa Webalbum, and Facebook for uploads.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:08 PM   #3

That is a super shot.

(Is it a co-incidence that the predominant blue and gold colors are also Navy colors?)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:20 PM   #4

Great Shot Ted! I love Adobe products, been using LR since it was in Beta and I have 3.0 on this computer and 1.42 on another, along with CS2 & CS5....an investment for sure, but worth it to me. The noise reduction engine in LR3 is phenomenal.
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:28 AM   #5

Thanks for all your kind words. That's gratifying for this shot because it wasn't the one I was trying to get. I knew the moon was going to be very close to the sun 2 days earlier so I was looking for a thin crescent on the horizon at dawn. But for 2 days in a row there were early morning clouds over the ocean; this shot was day 3 and i really didn't think it was going to be that good. I underestimated Oly color.

I also am continually surprised at how good Oly exposure metering is. I did a number of shots to bracket it but this was the first one - the Oly was spot on. I often have to monkey around with the metering on the L1, usually starting with a -1/3 eV compensation. Never with the Oly DSLRs I have, unless it's an unusual lighting situation (e.g. strong backlighting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
That is a super shot.

(Is it a co-incidence that the predominant blue and gold colors are also Navy colors?)
Don't know why you say that - I can't help it if blue and gold go together way, way better than olive drab and khaki...

Ted
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=edge=- View Post
Great Shot Ted! I love Adobe products, been using LR since it was in Beta and I have 3.0 on this computer and 1.42 on another, along with CS2 & CS5....an investment for sure, but worth it to me. The noise reduction engine in LR3 is phenomenal.
Um, you do know that what you totaled up would get you an HG lens, right?

Just kidding. A digital darkroom is a necessary part of the process if you want to get the best out of a photo. Ansel Adams never printed his negatives without skilled corrections.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Um, you do know that what you totaled up would get you an HG lens, right?

Just kidding. A digital darkroom is a necessary part of the process if you want to get the best out of a photo. Ansel Adams never printed his negatives without skilled corrections.
I have a few HG and a SHG already....purchased between the latest Adobe releases and their much earlier ones Now I just need to start saving for the 14-35 and the 7-14. Eventually I'll get towards the 150 as well, but I want to fill the FOV below my 35-100 first.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=edge=- View Post
Yeah well as I get into it I'm finding that it's a typical Adobe product where the menu is total bullshit.

I have my photos stored in a folder "My Pictures" that's within a main folder "Data".

I've been screwing with LR for an hour to just open a friggin photo. Why doesn't the software find the folder. Or better, why doesn't it just let me open a photo from the File menu???????

As I said, a typical Adobe product where the developers were smoking...
well never mind.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:05 PM   #9

hahah...my biggest gripe about LR! the photos are cataloged based on import and not the windows file system....I hate it as well.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:12 PM   #10

so how do I tell it to just open a specific friggin file? It doesn't see the DATA folder on my hard drive. How could it not see that? is it vision impaired?

Sorry for the rant. Every time I buy a software app written by Macheads for a Mac, and run it on a PC I regret it.