Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:20 PM   #11

....I should have known to do the 'click'. I use the share feature for image links and have never done the insert the way you and Greg C. do, so my images are not links and I've never thought to figure it out.

Great images of a great air machine........ glad you were able to see it.

I just looked, it turns out that Nov 08 last year was when I saw the Aluminum Overcast for the second time.

This is the nose art on the 'A O'

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 9, 2010 at 8:18 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:12 PM   #12

Really good shots Steven, great planes and like Greg said a great sound. Every now and then they'll come up home to Boeing Field here.

Warning, Old fart speak...: When I was a kid in England in the late 40's, I actually remember seeing and hearing these monsters taking off and landing at Manston Air Base in Kent. The base was up behind our houses.
One of the pilots lived off base in our street. I remember his wife tell my aunt that he'd she'd wake up at night with him pushing her out of bed, yelling "Jump, you bloody fool, we're on fire."

Oh wait. They didn't have PTSD in those days did they?

Last edited by Scouse; Nov 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:32 AM   #13

Hi Steven,

Beautiful shots. I love them all.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....I should have known to do the 'click'. I use the share feature for image links and have never done the insert the way you and Greg C. do, so my images are not links and I've never thought to figure it out.
It's simple: (for a windoze machine) open the photo in smugmug at the size you want, right-click on the photo and select Copy from the menu. Then in a message here, right-click where you want the photo and select Paste. (For some reason this doesn't work for me in Firefox but it does in IE. Kinda frustrating since I use the add-on FxIF in Firefox to right-click to see EXIF data on a photo directly in the browser, and haven't been able to find a similar add-on for IE.)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Bob, you can just click on a photo, and it will take you directly to the smugmug gallery. But my smugmug site is :
http://stevenr.smugmug.com/
The first thing I did when I saw your photos was say, "Wow, I want to see these larger!" and double-clicked into your smugmug. Then I got lost in enjoying your photos and forgot to tell you how much i liked them. I need to do that.

Ted
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinton View Post
I was able to take a ride and was able to spend the complete flight in the nose bubble. Got some beautiful shots of my city.
I agree with Steven - that must have been quite a thrill.

For any of you who love airplanes, if you haven't been to the Smithsonian's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center you're missing a real treat. It's located on a far corner of Dulles airport (presumably because that's how they got the larger airplanes in). In its collection is a space shuttle you can walk right up to, a Concorde graciously donated by the UK and France, and an SR71.

Ted
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
For any of you who love airplanes, if you haven't been to the Smithsonian's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center you're missing a real treat. It's located on a far corner of Dulles airport (presumably because that's how they got the larger airplanes in). In its collection is a space shuttle you can walk right up to, a Concorde graciously donated by the UK and France, and an SR71.

Ted
I love to go to air museums and have been to the Smithsonian Air and Space center often, but haven't caught the Udvar-Hazy Center yet. I was working in D.C. and had a little time before I had to turn in the rental car and catch a flight at Dulles, so I thought I would stop by the Udvar-Hazy Center to explore it for a bit, since they advertise it as free admission. However, when I drove up to the lot, while the museum is free, they charge a flat $15 for parking. I couldn't see paying $15 for just a few minutes in a free museum, so I missed out on seeing it. I'll know next time to plan on an all day trip there, or pay a $5 cab ride from the hotel.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:57 AM   #18

Thanks for all the comments fellows, it is appreciated. It's nice to know that so many of us have an interest in historic aviation photos. Steve's-Digicams could probably create forum just for aircraft shots.

Anyway, maybe we should all look thru our old files and post a few of our aircraft shots. I think everyone would enjoy seeing them.

(See Ted, once in a while I do take photos of other things beside gators!)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I thought I would stop by the Udvar-Hazy Center to explore it for a bit, since they advertise it as free admission. However, when I drove up to the lot, while the museum is free, they charge a flat $15 for parking.
Yeah, their nose gets longer every time they say admission is free - the only way to get there is by car or tour bus. (As far as I know there's no public transportation way out there.) That's equivalent to an airline saying a flight is free but the oxygen costs $500.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Nov 9, 2010 at 8:35 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:46 PM   #20

Hey Steve

Thanks for posting these ... the B17 is still such a beautiful plane even after all these years .. and in that bbaremetal/silver finish more soo. You got some cracking shots there and the engine damage pic is one of them!

You know what's always amazed me is the art work that those boys used to do for there planes... brave and extremely talented !

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote