Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:34 PM   #11

Hi Greg,

This series of bird images is about as sharp and detailed as I've ever seen coming out of an Olympus dslr. The feather detail, sharpness and exposure is excellent.

Glad to hear and see you're back in business.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:21 AM   #12

Stop it please! An E5 AND 300mm f2.8 (I assume).. *sigh*

I WANT!
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:46 PM   #13

Thanks all.

Harj, I shot with the second camera about an hour. The time with the first camera was spread over two days with terrible light. To say I knew how exactly it compares, I'd be lying. Knee jerk reaction is its a bit better everywhere, but in low light with the 50 f2, it locks positively when the E-3 would have been frustriated. I just need more time to shoot, and switching to standard time ate up any shot of anything but weekends.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:47 PM   #14

Crisp, sharp, I don't think those pic's could be any better than that...!

Just perfect, good job...!
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:02 PM   #15

fabulous fabulous pics Fldspringer . I registered partly just to say how much they have inspired me. I have rarely seen better .

As a novice I know that it would be easy to ask how I could improve my photographic composition and editing techniques and find an easy way to take great pictures like yours and others on this forum but knowing it is going to be a long hard road of trial and error and practice and experience makes the prospect all the more exciting.
Earleybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earleybird View Post
fabulous fabulous pics Fldspringer . I registered partly just to say how much they have inspired me. I have rarely seen better .

As a novice I know that it would be easy to ask how I could improve my photographic composition and editing techniques and find an easy way to take great pictures like yours and others on this forum but knowing it is going to be a long hard road of trial and error and practice and experience makes the prospect all the more exciting.
Thanks for the comments. Its a learning experience, no doubt. Just start taking photos and look critically at the result. Look for what you like, and also at what could be better. You won't get perfect. Its one of the rules, but you will get a few "perfect" shots.

When I look at the series, there are things I fault with a majority of them. I'm not disapointed, but how many would be better without cutting off the tail? These are active critters and many times you must take what you can get, but sometimes you catch one JUUUUSSST right.

This is one of the best nuthatch pics I've ever gotten. They don't stay still and the texture of the white areas make it a very challenging bird to shoot.

I didn't post this one, but I like it alot and it was shot during the same session. Would it have been better if I got the end of the branch inside the frame? Not sure, but I like it none the less.

For me, being picky is part of the fun. If you know what would make the pic better, you will be more likely to do better next time. Just don't stop shooting because its not perfect. Shoot lots and sometimes something special happens. As wierd as it sounds, I like this one that just happened during the same session as the rest.

The only rule that is necessary is just have fun.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Nov 17, 2010 at 7:43 AM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 8:43 AM   #17

That's good advice, Greg...

I remember someone once saying, "Shoot like there's no film in the camera...!"

Years ago when I shot 35mm film that was impossible because of the expense
but today with digital it makes lots of sense...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Thanks for the comments. Its a learning experience, no doubt. .....

For me, being picky is part of the fun. If you know what would make the pic better, you will be more likely to do better next time. Just don't stop shooting because its not perfect. Shoot lots and sometimes something special happens. As wierd as it sounds, I like this one that just happened during the same session as the rest.

The only rule that is necessary is just have fun.

Greg

That last shot is just pretty special ... with the bird just flying away like that .. the composition is just fab and talk about timing

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:11 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Greg.

this is a superb birding set. really impressive.

the nuthatch one is just awesome and belongs in some birding book.