Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Looks like great results all around Greg! You should be a very happy camper!
Hi John,

I am happy. I love my Oly glass, but there were limitations imposed by the body. The E-5 makes improvements in many of those areas.

I'll not pretend this compares to the 1D or D3 series in either high ISO or continious AF, but it certainly looks like it will allow me the use of my Zuikos in areas I struggled in before.

I think I'm set as far as equipment is concerned.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Nov 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Did I mention there was no noise reduction applied to the file, either in camera or in post.
Double wow!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:08 AM   #23

Quote:
I think I'm set as far as equipment is concerned
......and that is a good, I'm happy for you.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:13 PM   #24

Hi Greg First impressions .. they look surprisingly good. I would never attempt to take a pic of our dogs running like that with the E3 as they would never be in focus. Looks like CA-F on the E-5's a definet improvement. Itd be interesting to see how well it focuses with IS disabled and compare to say the E3. Looking forward to our other Greg getting his mitts on the E-5 and shooting from the trackside and if its an improvement over the E30. Cheers Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:08 PM   #25

It's getting close....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:33 AM   #26

Default E-5 & c-af

Gidday Greg

Quote:
(if there is an ad, i don't endorse it)

Well Lady's and Gent's. Here is my first go at C-AF with the E-5. I've got three consecutive series here. Two are onto Smug, and the third I have to mess around a bit because of duplicate filenames (one of the many settings on a new camera that needs tweaking). I'll get there!

Pics follow.
Looked at the piccies. Liked the results. Even allowing for your known expertise with this, they look very good mate.

I will be interested to see how this evolves as you develop more familiarity with the new body.

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .

Last edited by John King; Nov 26, 2010 at 3:34 AM. Reason: no title
John King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Gidday Greg

Looked at the piccies. Liked the results. Even allowing for your known expertise with this, they look very good mate.

I will be interested to see how this evolves as you develop more familiarity with the new body.
Hi John, Welcome aboard.

I think you'll find this place the anti-DPR. All are friendly here, with the possible exception of myself, and the moderators here are truely outstanding. Pull up a chair and enjoy.

If you are familiar with the E-3, the E-5 will be instantly comfortable. I prefered -.3ev compensation as a general rule on the E-3, and after playing with the E-5 its the same. So much is the same that you don't even think its a different camera. I haven't set up the my-modes yet, and there's four instead of two, so I'll need to tackle that some cloudy weekend.

You need to look for things to quibble about on the new body. Its improvements are all solid, and taken in total it makes the camera much more solid in day to day use. The only real issue I have with it so far is its not supported in Lightroom, and because I shoot by the seat of my pants, I like to use RAW so I can get some recovery in post, when needed.

Once again, Welcome.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:08 AM   #28

Default Cameras and fora ...

Gidday Greg

Quote:
Hi John, Welcome aboard.

I think you'll find this place the anti-DPR.

< I am finding exactly that on all three fora I have signed up for recently mate.

Would you believe that I have just had the ban rescinded at that other place by SJ, but they have lost me ... I'm just sick of the fighting and back-biting, and the inability to discuss real issues about our gear of choice without the flak, flamethrowers and hand grenades ... >

All are friendly here, with the possible exception of myself < and now me ... >, and the moderators here are truely outstanding. Pull up a chair and enjoy.

If you are familiar with the E-3, the E-5 will be instantly comfortable. I prefered -.3ev compensation as a general rule on the E-3, and after playing with the E-5 its the same. So much is the same that you don't even think its a different camera. I haven't set up the my-modes yet, and there's four instead of two, so I'll need to tackle that some cloudy weekend.

You need to look for things to quibble about on the new body. Its improvements are all solid, and taken in total it makes the camera much more solid in day to day use. The only real issue I have with it so far is its not supported in Lightroom, and because I shoot by the seat of my pants, I like to use RAW so I can get some recovery in post, when needed.

Once again, Welcome.
Thanks for the warm welcome, Greg. Much appreciated. Trapper recommended here and FTPhoto; Bill for FTPhoto; Riley for GetDPI.com ... So I have signed up at all three, lol.

Without the incessant trolling and baiting, these fora move at a more leisurely pace, with more information and less "static" AFAICS ... So I will probably be able to keep up with all three.

Thanks again for the welcome mate. There are so many familiar names and faces in these fora ... I wonder why?

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .
John King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:47 AM   #29

Hi John: Below is a copy of a comment I made on a post some months ago. My views haven't changed.
----------------------------------------------------------------
"I agree with Gary: why go into that kind of stuff at all?

I stopped going to those forums a long time ago, and haven't missed it at all. The people on this forum as a group are much nicer, are very knowledgeable, and make it a pleasure to share all our thoughts. It's like having pleasant and informative conversations with old friends. I never felt that way on the DPR forums."

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:21 AM   #30

One thing that makes this group different than other forums, including good ones like 43Photo, is that folks here have a sense of humor. Even Zig does, if you catch him when he's not raking leaves.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote