Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:33 PM   #1

Default The real Geico Gecko

Now for something a little different. For those in the States, we all are familiar with the animated gecko with the British accent used in those Geico Insurance television commercials. How about a shot of the real thing that is the basis for the commercial.

photos follow:
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:36 PM   #2

A Madagascar Gecko

"Mick the Brit" who actually does the voice of the gecko in the commercials:
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:08 PM   #3

Very nice! Every night (well, not as much now that it's getting cooler) there's a gecko (google says that it's a Mediterranean gecko) that traipses across the window in my study. I've tried to get pictures, but I've not had good luck with the bad light and shooting through the glass, and I don't want to go tripping around in the rose bushes in the dark Your capture is gorgeous.

Take care.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:09 PM   #4

Years ago when speed radar units were coming out, Geico bought a few thousand of them and gave them to police departments around the country. Then when Geico customers got speeding tickets, Geico raised their insurance rates. So can you please get a gator to take care of those Geico ad folks?

Ted

Disclaimer: I was never a Geico customer, just watched this transpire. You wouldn't have seen this if you weren't in the Government Employee Insurance Company's primary customer area.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:24 PM   #5

shouldn't mick be green?
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Years ago when speed radar units were coming out, Geico bought a few thousand of them and gave them to police departments around the country. Then when Geico customers got speeding tickets, Geico raised their insurance rates. So can you please get a gator to take care of those Geico ad folks?

Ted

Disclaimer: I was never a Geico customer, just watched this transpire. You wouldn't have seen this if you weren't in the Government Employee Insurance Company's primary customer area.
LOL. I was once a Geico customer many years ago. They started sending out "routine questionnaires" and one of the innocent sounding questions was if you owned a radar detector. If you foolishly answered yes, then they canceled your coverage. Fortunately someone had warned me about that, and I answered "no". But I shortly thereafter I changed to another company, and never went back to them.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:33 PM   #7

Phelsuma ssp. love nectar...they are a joy to observe
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Stranger View Post
Very nice! Every night (well, not as much now that it's getting cooler) there's a gecko (google says that it's a Mediterranean gecko) that traipses across the window in my study. I've tried to get pictures, but I've not had good luck with the bad light and shooting through the glass, and I don't want to go tripping around in the rose bushes in the dark Your capture is gorgeous.

Take care.
Hey G.E.S. This type of gecko is not native to my area. Geicko had a traveling exhibit that went around to different zoos, and it made a stop at the Lowry Park zoo in Tampa. But the exhibit room was so dark and the lighting was horrible. I only got a few passable shots. You can click thu my photo to go to the rest of the shots.

The photo of Mick the Brit was made at another event. He comes to Tampa every year for the Tampa Cigar Heritage Festival at Ybor City, just because he is a big cigar connoisseur. It has nothing to do with Geico.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=edge=- View Post
Phelsuma ssp. love nectar...they are a joy to observe
Hey edge: I knew you would know all the details. Haven't heard from you lately, you must be busy with the snakes.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonewolf View Post
shouldn't mick be green?
LOL! now that would be a funny sight. Do you think he puts on green makeup when he does the commercials.

It is kind of funny listening to him talk, because you keep picturing a green talking lizard in your mind. The voice in the commercials is his natural speaking voice.