Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

And thanks for the follow up.

I think we're both in agreement as I've been unable to improve any image that I've tried beyond what I can already do in Adobe's ACR6.2 program. ACR is also easier. I may be prejudiced, because I'm much more comfortable in the use of ACR, but, so far I've not managed to find where this program will be of benefit to me.

Zig
One additional thing you can do in Photoshop is to utilize the sharpen tool after opening a RAW conversion from ACR.

Having spent the last 2 1/2 days with my parents at their home, I took my CS5 book from Scott Kelby and read up on several subjects, and one in particular caught my eye... the sharpen tool. On getting home this evening I re-worked a few of my more recent E30 files in Camera RAW, then opened the resulting conversions in Photoshop and applied this tool.

Here's a video on the sharpen tool.

http://www.peachpit.com/podcasts/epi...a-f9be66a066db

I went ahead and did normal amounts of sharpening in ACR and applied more masking to areas where I wanted no sharpening applied, then also applied the noise filters, all in ACR, then opened the resulting file in Photoshop CS5 and applied this sharpening tool in certain areas, painting where I wanted additional sharpening applied. Here are a few of the E30 images I re-worked this evening using this tool. If one has Photoshop and finds a third-party program to do something special, just taking the time to read what might be possible in Photoshop to do something similar seems to often reveal a way to do it at least as well, if not better.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 28, 2010 at 11:24 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post

I went ahead and did normal amounts of sharpening in ACR and applied more masking to areas where I wanted no sharpening applied, then also applied the noise filters, all in ACR, then opened the resulting file in Photoshop CS5 and applied this sharpening tool in certain areas, painting where I wanted additional sharpening applied. Here are a few of the E30 images I re-worked this evening using this tool. If one has Photoshop and finds a third-party program to do something special, just taking the time to read what might be possible in Photoshop to do something similar seems to often reveal a way to do it at least as well, if not better.

Hi Greg,

I'm in full agreement. As, the more I read Kelby's CS5 book, the more I find solutions to issues that I've tried to resolve with plug-ins. CS5, if you have it, is a very powerful photo editing tool.

BTW, love the treatments on the images.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote