Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:47 PM   #1

Default Topaz InFocus

Trying out the new Topaz plugin called InFocus today. So far I like the results. This is one of the pics from my 3 from today post on Sunday. I think it is much better than the one in that thread.

John
Attached Images

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:06 PM   #2

Hi John,

Thanks for posting this-very timely, as I just received an e-mail announcing this product as well as a significant discount if I buy b4 12-03-2010.

Zig

and, yes, the processed image does appear to be improved.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi John,

Thanks for posting this-very timely, as I just received an e-mail announcing this product as well as a significant discount if I buy b4 12-03-2010.

Zig

and, yes, the processed image does appear to be improved.

Zig
I have been very impressed with what it can do. I have DeNoise 5 and Detail 2 both of which i use on almost all pics. But I can see how this one could take the place of Detail on many shots where all i want to do is compensate for camera shake or a focus that was slightly off. Very easy to use as well, took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to make it work and then a bit longer to tweak this image, this was the 3rd attempt and I used Detail to help set exposure.

John
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:34 PM   #4

Not sure I agree- the processed image has sharpening artefacts at the edge of the tree trunk, and lots more noise in the feathers. But I too got an e-mail announcement and downloaded it, which made me curious about focussing algorithms in general, so now I'm trying out focus magic, which costs $45, but seems more sophisticated. I'll post examples when I can. I've also used Optipix's plugin which has an edge enhancer that is very clever for sharpening the picture without much noise amplification.

Last edited by bobbert; Nov 23, 2010 at 4:36 PM.
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbert View Post
Not sure I agree- the processed image has sharpening artefacts at the edge of the tree trunk, and lots more noise in the feathers. But I too got an e-mail announcement and downloaded it, which made me curious about focussing algorithms in general, so now I'm trying out focus magic, which costs $45, but seems more sophisticated. I'll post examples when I can. I've also used Optipix's plugin which has an edge enhancer that is very clever for sharpening the picture without much noise amplification.
Hi,

I'll be looking forward to seeing your results. When you do post, it would be great to post b4 and after examples.

Thanks
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbert View Post
I could have deadened the artifacts but to some extent with the picture i used it was either have them or have it blurred. But like Zig I'm looking forward to seeing what the programs you mention can do. I like Topaz products in part because the work with my Elements 2 but if something out there will do a better job I'll look into it.

John
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:33 PM   #7

Here a quick test of infocus. Not a great shot, but i really does sharpen a soft photo. Taken with my oly point and shoot that has seen better days.
Attached Images

Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:47 AM   #8

Here's a link to this subject on the Pentax forum, comparing InFocus to Focus Magic for those interested:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...cus-magic.html

John
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Here's a link to this subject on the Pentax forum, comparing InFocus to Focus Magic for those interested:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...cus-magic.html

John
Good morning John,

Thanks for the link. The comparison images really tell the story. I'm about to download In Focus and try it out . I'll try to post a sample or two if it''s appropriate.

Zig

Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Good morning John,

Thanks for the link. The comparison images really tell the story. I'm about to download In Focus and try it out . I'll try to post a sample or two if it''s appropriate.

Zig
Please do. I'm interested in seeing how it does on shots that are already very good. I'm going to play around with a bit more and see if it will improve the shots I have that were taking with the Sigma 135-400. Would be worth the money just for that if it works.

John