Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:38 PM   #11

....I did not buy one of the E-5's but I did buy my E-3 & some other pieces there, seems a long time ago, gotta love the local store & the people.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 1:34 AM   #12

Default RE: I finally ordered....

Gidday Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
....the 50mm f2 Zuiko...

The E5 is next....
Congrats on the f2/50 macro. It is a truly superb lens, and I have never regretted buying mine for one instant. It is quite probably the best lens I have ever owned in over 50 years, including the various Leitz Summicrons ...

Seems the E-5 has leapt out of the starting gate big time. It seems that there is already a bit of a supply problem in some places ... If it stays as successful as this, Olympus might just reconsider updates for the E-30/620 ... One can but hope!

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .
John King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Gidday Greg

Congrats on the f2/50 macro. It is a truly superb lens, and I have never regretted buying mine for one instant. It is quite probably the best lens I have ever owned in over 50 years, including the various Leitz Summicrons ...

Seems the E-5 has leapt out of the starting gate big time. It seems that there is already a bit of a supply problem in some places ... If it stays as successful as this, Olympus might just reconsider updates for the E-30/620 ... One can but hope!
Hello John and welcome to the Oly forum here at Steve's,

There is nothing like positive sales figures to capture the attention of the sales and marketing group of any corporation. As a very satisfied owner of an E-30, I too hope that the E-5 isn't the last release of a fourthirds dslr.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:34 PM   #14

Default Gidday Zig

Gidday Zig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hello John and welcome to the Oly forum here at Steve's,

< Thanks mate. Much appreciated. I don't feel as if I have inadvertently stepped into the middle of a war zone here ... >

There is nothing like positive sales figures to capture the attention of the sales and marketing group of any corporation. As a very satisfied owner of an E-30, I too hope that the E-5 isn't the last release of a fourthirds dslr.

Zig
I am also very happy with my E-30 (etc ... ). And I hope we're right.

Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:07 AM   #15

Make that three as far as very satisfied owners of the E30 goes.

The 50mm f2 Zuiko arrived. Everyone's right....that concave front element design is pretty impressive and indicates a very high-level of optical design.

The AF motor sound reminds me very much of early AF Nikkors back when I purchased one of my first AF film SLR's, a Nikon N2020, back in the mid to late 1980's, but the AF action seems fast enough on the E30, even going from fairly close-up back to a distance shot.

Build-quality sure is top-notch. Like a mini 50-200 SWD. You especially see and feel the difference after using the micro 4/3rd's optics. I have my E30 outfit, including the EX25 tube with me today and look forward to trying the combination out this evening and using this lens in any upcoming portrait sessions, one of which I just happened to receive a call asking if we could meet this next Saturday.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:05 PM   #16

I can already see shooting at f2.0 and up close means switching to the narrower AF area sensitivity to make sure you focus on eyes instead of the nose up close.

The always willing to pose for a bribe/treat kitty. This weekend I'll have a human subject with a new senior session.

Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:32 PM   #17

Gidday Greg

Nice shot mate. Love the half miaow .

Notice how it is entirely possible to get DoF that is too shallow, even with 4/3rds ... .

Cats make excellent test subjects (IMHO) precisely because their iris is set so far behind the orbital bones of the eye.

Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:44 AM   #18

I think the 50mm is phenomenal optically, but its AF always left me very frustrated. At least with me if it missed focus in the first try it would go all the way to infinity and back to focus, making it very slow. A focus limiter switch would have made this lens perfect.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:08 PM   #19

Yeah, I have seen many similar comments about the 50/2 Zuikos' AF action. I guess I need to try it on my E1 or E300 to experience it! On the E30, it seems to jump into focus pretty darn quick.

An AF limiter like what Panasonic put on their micro 45mm f2.8 would be an improvement, as would incorporating an SWD focus motor(!) but I also think the E30 AF system, and now the E5 as well, has improved the focus action of this lens. I've been toying with it the last couple of days, focusing on an up-close image, then going emmediately to something at distance and it seems to jump right from one extreme to the other without any hesitation, even in near dark conditions using the FL50R flashs' AF assist light.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 1, 2010 at 9:20 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:59 PM   #20

Hi Greg

Thats looking very sharp .. and its bang in focus right on the wee kitty's eyes. I never could understand why they never updated the 50mmF2 with SWD and a focus limiter, esp after the 12-60SWD was introduced. That would have been an ideal time to have done it and I'm sure they would have sold a ton of them as people would be scramblign to upgrade.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote