Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:43 AM   #1

Default I finally ordered....

....the 50mm f2 Zuiko...

The E5 is next....

I've been playing around so much with the E-PL1 and having tons of fun, but reality is starting to set in on me that, as fun as that system is, what I have invested in it right now is really "good enough" for what it can do. I don't "really" need a 14-150 or 9-18 micro Zuiko (as much as I have really been tempted) looking at what I already have that's micro-specific combined with the 4/3rd's lenses I have that work with it....besides, I also have that $1,700 purchase coming up in a couple of weeks...and I'm not going to be able to buy EVERYTHING I'd like to have.

I have a ticket on December 21 to go see the Stars vs. the Montreal Canadiens and it'll be the E30 (or maybe the E5?) and 50-200 SWD that goes with me to that game. No E-PL1 for the Canadiens!

And now (well, 5-7 days from now), I will have a new 50mm f2 (or 100mm f4 when coupled with the EC20) macro that'll be a great addition for BOTH systems.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 24, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:26 PM   #2

Hi Greg,

You're going to love the 50mm f2 macro. It was one of the 1st lenses that I purchased after buying my E-500 and, in my mind, it is one of the sharpest lenses that Olympus has. I stupidly sold it to fund another lens purchase and I've always regretted it.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:31 PM   #3

Greg,

Congrats on the purchase. The 50mm/f2 is a great lens with amzing pic IQ. It also works well in micro mode too. How about adding the ex-25 to it? I recently aquired the ex-25 to go with my 50/f2. It totally changed my view in micro photography world. With ex-25, due to the very narrow DOF, it is a challenge to focus. But once you get the object in focus, the view from the view finder is just "micro" amazing

Looking forward to see your postings with the new lens.
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:08 PM   #4

I do already have the EX25 too and will utilize it with the 50 Zuiko. I've used the EX25 both with my 70-300 and 50-200's for closeup work for a long time now and really appreciate how versatile that little dedicated tube is with the zoom lenses.

Lens accessories are a big hole in the micro 4/3rd's system. The EX25 works great via the MMF-2 adapter and using a 4/3rd's lens on the E-PL1, but there's nothing available if you wanted to do the same thing with an E-PL1 and a micro-specific lens.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

You're going to love the 50mm f2 macro. It was one of the 1st lenses that I purchased after buying my E-500 and, in my mind, it is one of the sharpest lenses that Olympus has. I stupidly sold it to fund another lens purchase and I've always regretted it.Zig
But you do have some very nice lenses now! I certainly would not say you have not improved your setup since those E500 days.

We all do something like that. I would love to still have that 7-14mm f4 Zuiko I sold a couple of years ago, but it had gotten to the point I just was not using it that much. The 9-18 makes much more sense for me for the number of times I really need a super-wide. The vast majority of the time I need nothing wider than the 12mm end of the 12-60.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:21 PM   #6
Super Moderator

grats greg. i think you will enjoy that macro alot. sounds like you have a good buying plan
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
But you do have some very nice lenses now! I certainly would not say you have not improved your setup since those E500 days.

We all do something like that. I would love to still have that 7-14mm f4 Zuiko I sold a couple of years ago, but it had gotten to the point I just was not using it that much. The 9-18 makes much more sense for me for the number of times I really need a super-wide. The vast majority of the time I need nothing wider than the 12mm end of the 12-60.
Hey Greg, which of your lens' (and cameras) did you use for your trip to France. I remember some of your indoor cathederal shots were just stunning without a lot of narrowing or barreling. They don't waste money on lighting in those places either.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Hey Greg, which of your lens' (and cameras) did you use for your trip to France. I remember some of your indoor cathederal shots were just stunning without a lot of narrowing or barreling. They don't waste money on lighting in those places either.
Yep, and back then there was no option for image stabilization in Olympus DSLR's!

That trip was why I bought the 7-14. I kept it for around 13 months after returning before finally selling it. We take at least one trip every year...not always as nice as that one though. If I were a much more frequent traveller, I never would have sold it.

E300, 7-14, 14-54 (version 1) and 50-200 (also verion 1) Zuikos was what I took on that 13 day trip in May-June, 2006.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post

Hi Greg,

You're right, I DO own some nice lenses and didn't mean to imply that I didn't. It's just that I regret not keeping the 50mm macro lens and finding an alternative way to fund additional purchases.

Hope you get your E-5 soon. Looking forward to see you give it a good test and your subsequent posts.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:03 PM   #10

I called Arlington Camera today and was suprised to hear they not only have four E5's currently in stock, but the salesman told me they have sold of few of them already.