Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:42 PM   #11

Default Desirable train trips

Gidday Ted

My very first post here ... .

I must agree with others that I have always had this desire to travel across the Rockies in Canada and the US by train ...

I wouldn't mind doing the Nullarbor (Adelaide to Perth) or the Red Centre (Adelaide to Darwin) train trips here, for that matter ... maybe when I get a portable coagulation checker ... .

regards, john from Melbourne, Australia

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .

Last edited by John King; Nov 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM. Reason: How about a post title?
John King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Gidday Ted

I must agree with others that I have always had this desire to travel across the Rockies in Canada and the US by train ...

I wouldn't mind doing the Nullarbor (Adelaide to Perth) or the Red Centre (Adelaide to Darwin) train trips here, for that matter ... maybe when I get a portable coagulation checker ... .

Welcome to the forum John. There are some knowledgeable, friendly people here, and they are always glad to offer advice and information.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:59 PM   #13

Default Thanks for the warm welcome, Steven

Gidday Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Welcome to the forum John. There are some knowledgeable, friendly people here, and they are always glad to offer advice and information.

Steven R.
Thanks mate. I look forward to having adult conversations with adult human beings.
I am a refugee from another place ... , so not exactly new to all this.
I have also signed up at FTPhoto and GetDPI, as more than a little sick of the madhouse at that other place ...

I am interested in photography and gear, not in fighting ... .

Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Gidday Steven

Thanks mate. I look forward to having adult conversations with adult human beings.
I am a refugee from another place ... , so not exactly new to all this.
I have also signed up at FTPhoto and GetDPI, as more than a little sick of the madhouse at that other place ...

I am interested in photography and gear, not in fighting ... .
You've come to the right place. You'll find a few fellow refugees from "that other place" here... me included. It's a world of difference.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:50 AM   #15

John, given the subject of this thread, the only thing I can say is:

Welcome aboard.

However, I do need to warn you that many of us are citizens of a country that for no reason at all other than that that it can be done, invented a contest to see who can create machines to hurl an 8 lb. pumpkin as far as possible. [The current record is 4483.51 feet (1.4 kilometers)]

http://www.punkinchunkin.com/

You want to be careful of people who do this for fun.

Quote:
Steven R.
Steven, here are a couple of things you need to know about John:

1. He was banned from DPR, because he had the lack of judgement to try to get a couple of children to act like mature adults.
2. There is at least one instance where he and I were online at 43photo at the same time, and he lives on the opposite side of the planet from me. So he has no concept of time. (It couldn't possibly have been that it was me who didn't.)

So all in all, he will fit in here just fine...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Gidday Ted

I haven't been to Australia but I've seen travel shows about some of the train rides you have there - they look spectacular.

Ted
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that. I would love to take a train ride across the scenic west! You need to tell us more about the trip and post some photos of the trip.
Here are a few more. The northern Arizona and New Mexico parts of the Southwest Chief route are the most photogenic.

In the Southwest US you can see a long way because there's not much water vapor in the air. So you know where it's raining:

They call it big sky country:

This photo wasn't from that trip - I shot this while driving along I-40 in northern AZ:

Again, thanks for looking. Gary and I aren't kidding that that baby Fuji 550 P&S is a remarkable camera.

Ted
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:01 PM   #18

Default Trees, trolls and theories ...

Hi folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
You've come to the right place. You'll find a few fellow refugees from "that other place" here... me included. It's a world of difference.
Thanks Gary. I am finding that to be the case at all three sites. I seem to already know about half the people at each of them, lol. I wonder why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
John, given the subject of this thread, the only thing I can say is:

Welcome aboard.

< Thanks Ted >

However, I do need to warn you that many of us are citizens of a country that for no reason at all other than that that it can be done, invented a contest to see who can create machines to hurl an 8 lb. pumpkin as far as possible. [The current record is 4483.51 feet (1.4 kilometers)]

http://www.punkinchunkin.com/

You want to be careful of people who do this for fun.

< Lol. Bear in mind that Oz has sent a contingent to almost every war that has occurred during our existence as a nation ... Some people ought to beware of a nation of people who do this "for fun" too - but they don't seem to be aware of what it signifies! >

Steven, here are a couple of things you need to know about John:

1. He was banned from DPR, because he had the lack of judgement to try to get a couple of children to act like mature adults.

< True ... I was partially reinstated last night ... after a month-long 'discussion' with the senior management there ... >

2. There is at least one instance where he and I were online at 43photo at the same time, and he lives on the opposite side of the planet from me. So he has no concept of time. (It couldn't possibly have been that it was me who didn't.)

< Lol. Maybe you're thinking of the other half of the 'dynamic duo'. We managed to do back-to-back shifts at the other place >

So all in all, he will fit in here just fine...

Ted
I think I will. I have always loved people, photography and the Universe at large. I abhor fighting. I am a devout pacifist who will fight to the death over a matter of principle; but not for more than a couple of seconds over a fondly-held prejudice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I haven't been to Australia but I've seen travel shows about some of the train rides you have there - they look spectacular.

Ted
Yeah, They don't call it the "Nullarbor" plain for nothing ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullarbor_Plain ). No trees for over 300 miles, and the longest stretch of dead straight train track in the world, apparently. I have never been there by car or train.

Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:09 PM   #19

Default Big sky country

G'day again Ted

Love the light in the second one and the light + subject/composition in the third. The first one doesn't really do much for me - can't work out why ...

We have clay pans so big here they are like looking out over a wide expanse of ocean - you can see the curvature of the Earth in their far horizon ... When it rains, they turn into one huge, massive bog ... About 80% of Australia is inside the 5 inch isohyet; and it tends to get that 5 inches of rain average in one hit every few years ... Here in Victoria (the "Garden State") we have just had our 'average' November rainfall for the first time in 14 years. This coincides with the huge Solar Maximum of 2002~2003 (largest ever for many millions of years, IIRC).

Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Yeah, They don't call it the "Nullarbor" plain for nothing ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullarbor_Plain ). No trees for over 300 miles, and the longest stretch of dead straight train track in the world, apparently. I have never been there by car or train.
LOL! OK, OK, not every rail trip in Australia is scenic. But I was thinking more along the lines of the Kuranda Scenic Railway or the 3801 Limited's Cockatoo Run. But those are day trips (except for the time it takes to get to them).

Quote:
Love the light in the second one and the light + subject/composition in the third. The first one doesn't really do much for me - can't work out why ...
Well you've identified the issue with scenic rail trips and photography - photography is difficult. One reason is that the railroads have a curious aversion to complying with your request to stop the train for a while so you can get out and move around to get the best lighting. You're limited to what you see through the window and unless you're very familiar with the route, good photo opportunities (location + lighting) take you by surprise.

My OP in this thread had less to do with scenic railroad photography than the fact that I was re-examining some 5 year old photos taken with a P&S that I (and Gary Toth) really like, one reason being that it has an OVF that zooms with the lens even though it's not a DSLR.

I have two favorite photos from that camera. My #2 favorite is the one I put in the OP. I've posted my #1 Fuji E550 photo before, but that was before you joined us so here it is again:

Neither of these two photos were taken from a train, although they both are railroad related. (Those are train tracks in the foreground of the above photo.)

Ted