Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:59 AM   #21

Ted,

I've been meaning to tell you how much I enjoy looking at your images of the Big Sky country out West. They are a wonderful reminder of a vacation the family took quite some time ago when we flew to Billings, MT. rented a car and travelled 1850miles in 8days.
We went thru Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, saw the Grand Tetons, Zion Nat'l Park, the North and South Rims of the Grand Canyon and ended up in Las Vegas, where my in-laws lived.

Prompted by your post, we got the scrap book out yesterday and looked through all the pics that we took along the way.
Thanks,
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:07 AM   #22

G'day again Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
LOL! OK, OK, not every rail trip in Australia is scenic. But I was thinking more along the lines of the Kuranda Scenic Railway or the 3801 Limited's Cockatoo Run. But those are day trips (except for the time it takes to get to them).

Well you've identified the issue with scenic rail trips and photography - photography is difficult. One reason is that the railroads have a curious aversion to complying with your request to stop the train for a while so you can get out and move around to get the best lighting.

< Yeah, I've noticed that too. AND they have some sort of unreasonable ideas about the use of the emergency stop cord for that purpose ... >

You're limited to what you see through the window and unless you're very familiar with the route, good photo opportunities (location + lighting) take you by surprise.

My OP in this thread had less to do with scenic railroad photography than the fact that I was re-examining some 5 year old photos taken with a P&S that I (and Gary Toth) really like, one reason being that it has an OVF that zooms with the lens even though it's not a DSLR.

< IIRC my Coolpix does that too. It hails from around 2002. A super little camera, but not worth paying to have the power switch fixed. I might try doing it myself ... I would really like this camera to work ... but at Oz $250 for the "proper" repair, ugh. >

I have two favorite photos from that camera. My #2 favorite is the one I put in the OP. I've posted my #1 Fuji E550 photo before, but that was before you joined us so here it is again:

Neither of these two photos were taken from a train, although they both are railroad related. (Those are train tracks in the foreground of the above photo.)

Ted
That's a lovely shot too, mate. The light is exquisite. Thanks for posting it for me.

Now I've got to go to bed ... Up watching the State election results. The count down to the wire will happen over the next few days, but it looks like a change of government - not a bad thing periodically.

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .
John King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
That's a lovely shot too, mate. The light is exquisite. Thanks for posting it for me.
Hi, John

That was the other thing I had meant to mention about photography from a train - it's very difficult to get a good scenic image (train or no train) between mid-morning and late afternoon - the lighting is usually very harsh. If you look at my two favorite shots, one was late afternoon and the other was not long after sunrise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Now I've got to go to bed ... Up watching the State election results. The count down to the wire will happen over the next few days, but it looks like a change of government - not a bad thing periodically.
That wasn't that bad. If I'm not mistaken, 8am Maryland time is midnight Melbourne time.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Ted,

I've been meaning to tell you how much I enjoy looking at your images of the Big Sky country out West. They are a wonderful reminder of a vacation the family took quite some time ago when we flew to Billings, MT. rented a car and travelled 1850miles in 8days.
We went thru Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, saw the Grand Tetons, Zion Nat'l Park, the North and South Rims of the Grand Canyon and ended up in Las Vegas, where my in-laws lived.

Prompted by your post, we got the scrap book out yesterday and looked through all the pics that we took along the way.
Thanks,
Zig
Thanks, Zig

If you're not tired of my Southwest photos, I have a lot of them here:
http://tkurkowski.smugmug.com/SouthWest-US

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:33 PM   #25

Gidday Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Hi, John

That was the other thing I had meant to mention about photography from a train - it's very difficult to get a good scenic image (train or no train) between mid-morning and late afternoon - the lighting is usually very harsh. If you look at my two favorite shots, one was late afternoon and the other was not long after sunrise.

< Yeah, that flat light can be a real killer >

That wasn't that bad. If I'm not mistaken, 8am Maryland time is midnight Melbourne time.

Ted
Mate, we are on AEDST, so more like 0100H, then I had to wash the dishes, myself and crash. I'm not as resilient as I was 40 years ago!

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .
John King is offline   Reply With Quote