Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:32 PM   #1

Default OK to post a P&S photo?

Hope so, because this is a Fuji P&S but one of my favorite photos, and the only folks I care about showing it to are here.

Background: four years after 9-11, I was still living in Arizona but my boss (a great guy) needed me to spend time at our corporate HQ in the DC area while he was out of the country. That meant that I would have needed to fly on 9-11 that year, which was not my first choice . But I realized that it gave me the opportunity to do something I always wanted to do - take a train ride across the country. The only camera I had room to take was the Fuji Finepix E550 - small sensor but an OVF that zooms with the lens and takes good photos. I was going thru the photos of that trip and this one is my favorite.

Long Day Ahead (the engineer for the day is climbing aboard the GE locomotive in the early morning, and I would have loved to do the ride there with him):

Thanks for looking.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:50 PM   #2

The E550 was one heckuva camera. I had one for quite a while and used to recommend it highly to friends. You can still pick 'em up on eBay. I picked up several for a song for my friends due to the infamous "lens error". The lens would get stuck but it was an easy fix and I picked up a few for next to nothing.

Nice shot!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
The E550 was one heckuva camera. I had one for quite a while and used to recommend it highly to friends. You can still pick 'em up on eBay.
I did just pick one up on Ebay - got it to replace one for my wife (and, um, maybe for me ).

Quote:
Nice shot!
Thanks! I'm an engineer and a train buff so that shot is special to me. What I'd really like to do is take my good Oly gear on a train ride across Canada. Maybe someday...

Ted
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I did just pick one up on Ebay - got it to replace one for my wife (and, um, maybe for me ).

Thanks! I'm an engineer and a train buff so that shot is special to me. What I'd really like to do is take my good Oly gear on a train ride across Canada. Maybe someday...

Ted
THAT would be sensational! I'm looking forward to seeing THOSE shots!!
My Gallery

--
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:19 PM   #5

Quote:
THAT would be sensational! I'm looking forward to seeing THOSE shots!!
Going across the Canadian Rockies by train is, as far as I can tell, a whole 'nother experience.

Many years ago I was flying from DC to Chicago to visit my parents. I happened to be on a long-range 747 that was going to land in Chicago and then fly the great circle route to Tokyo. The pilot came on the intercom and noted that that flight, after taking off from Chicago, would be flying west across the Canadian Rockies and the whole time it was flying into sunrise on the Rockies. He said it was a wonderful experience and recommended that we all experience it.

Hell, I was ready - I was standing up waving a credit card and saying, "Sign me up! My family will understand! PULEEZE!!!" But they didn't have any seats available.

Maybe I've been bitter ever since . But that's what I want to do.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Nov 24, 2010 at 5:25 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Going across the Canadian Rockies by train is, as far as I can tell, a whole 'nother experience.

Many years ago I was flying from DC to Chicago to visit my parents. I happened to be on a long-range 747 that was going to land in Chicago and then fly the great circle route to Tokyo. The pilot came on the intercom and noted that that flight, after taking off from Chicago, would be flying west across the Canadian Rockies and the whole time it was flying into sunrise on the Rockies. He said it was a wonderful experience and recommended that we all experience it.

Hell, I was ready - I was standing up waving a credit card and saying, "Sign me up! My family will understand! PULEEZE!!!" But they didn't have any seats available.

Maybe I've been bitter ever since . But that's what I want to do.

Ted
I have a friend that does that trip at least 4-5 times a year enroute to China. He has done this for at least 4 years that I can think of. He says it gets old REAL fast but the first couple times is a real experience. Unfortunately, he's not a photography aficionado.
My Gallery

--
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:15 PM   #7

Thanks for sharing that. I would love to take a train ride across the scenic west! You need to tell us more about the trip and post some photos of the trip.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Thanks for sharing that. I would love to take a train ride across the scenic west! You need to tell us more about the trip and post some photos of the trip.
Thanks. I have some more - I'll work on it the next few days.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:31 PM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great picture. I rode the Amtrak's Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle in 2006--was a very memorable experience! Am planning Chicago to San Francisco next!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Great picture. I rode the Amtrak's Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle in 2006--was a very memorable experience! Am planning Chicago to San Francisco next!
The passengers I met on the Southwest Chief trip I was on, who were experienced Amtrak travelers (and retired of course) all said that California Zephyr trip was the best of the three cross-country routes. Mainly because of the route across the Rocky Mountains which they said was unforgettable.

The other thing I found interesting about the passengers was that there are a significant number of businessmen and women who have consulting jobs and are able to work out their lives so that they don't have to fly. Trains in North America are of course much slower than airplanes but these folks bring a laptop on the train and work as if they're in an office. Great way to travel on business! And this was in 2005 when airport security wasn't nearly as much of a PITA as it is now, and when aircards with their wireless service wasn't available.

Ted