Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:16 PM   #11

Oh man, that's hurts to even look at. We can only guess at how painful that must be. We can hope for a happy ending. That, after Sharon surgery, certainly justifies classification of a bad spell, to say the least. Keep us informed and we be wishing that your luck turns around.

(I signed on this afternoon to start a new post to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, but we'll just leave it with this sentence.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:20 AM   #12

After consoling myself with with overeating yesterday (3 Deserts) and making some calls we're going to try and get the boat off the beach Tuesday. Best tides and best weather. The hole in the side is a little problematic.
It's not going to be easy, or cheap, but we have plans. If I can get it on a trailer and get it home I can relax until spring. One of my best buddies has a boat glassworks, so that's a plus.
It's always annoying when you know you were complacent because it couldn't happen to you.........!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
After consoling myself with with overeating yesterday (3 Deserts) and making some calls we're going to try and get the boat off the beach Tuesday. Best tides and best weather. The hole in the side is a little problematic.
It's not going to be easy, or cheap, but we have plans. If I can get it on a trailer and get it home I can relax until spring. One of my best buddies has a boat glassworks, so that's a plus.
It's always annoying when you know you were complacent because it couldn't happen to you.........!
I was hoping you'd fill us in when you bucked yourself up to go look at it. I was wondering about the hull, what we could see didn't look bad but I figured that if it was badly damaged it would be at the place we couldn't see in the photos - where it's resting on those logs.

I'm really happy you have a path forward, and can get down to Baha where a steady supply of beverages will lessen the pain until the spring.

Have a safe trip.

Ted

PS: I was wondering how you were going to get it out of there - a small crane on a barge in the water, close by? It doesn't look like you can get equipment there on the land side.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:25 PM   #14

Good luck Ken.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:26 PM   #15

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Went down to the boat at low tide today and found it had been pushed up a little more. The hole or split in the hull is just at the waterline, not bad because she rides a bit high off the mark. It's about 4foot long though.

Until it gets afloat it's going to be getting wet inside. I managed to get a jack under and lifted on end at a time, stacking logs under, until the rudder was out of the sand. I could then get the shovel and dig the sand and rock mix from the log and get my chain saw to cut the log (18inch in diameter and heavy as waterlooged pine) that had holed the hull and the one next to it that's threatening to add to the mix.
That was a tad harder than it sounds, staggered home as the tide and cold started getting to me, for a long scalding shower and a handfull of tyrenol....

Tomorrow I'm going to buy some 2x6's and make a cradle under there and the tip of the keel, so when we start to pull her off we're dragging the 2x6's on the beach and not the hull or digging the keel in.

When we get her afloat (fingers crossed) I have a strip of heavy flexible plastic and some roofing tar to make a patch and just rough screw it over the split. Cosmetics I can fix later.

Last edited by Scouse; Nov 26, 2010 at 9:29 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:25 AM   #16

Ouch!!

Is she stove in? Any hull damage? [ I see you answered this already. Sorry, should have read the whole thread first. Was a bit shocked though, and didn't think of it. ]

Was it a bad storm? Broken mooring? Insured ...

Condolences mate.

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .

Last edited by John King; Nov 27, 2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: doh!
John King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:27 AM   #17

Ken,

From your description of the damage incurred and the debris around the hull, it sounds like you were fortunate that the "Scouse" wasn't a total loss. Good Luck with floating her and getting her to back to safety.

And, for God's sakes, Ken, take care of yourself. The work you doing is arduous at the least.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:22 PM   #18

Yeh Zig, Got to pace myself. Just 'cos I'm 210 ad 6'2" doesn't mean the body isn't getting older.
Couple of times yesterday I wondered what the hell I was doing as I gasped for air.

Hey King John.. Welcome aboard, good to have you around, as you can see we have a couple of Ozzies and a couple of Poms to keep these yanks in place..

I know what you meant when you said "It's not like a war zone" these are all good helpful and talented guys and we don't need the bull pucky here. Don't tell Steven or Ted I called them talented.....

Got to go and play boat savior now.....I hope. Insurance....Ha!!!!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:55 PM   #19

Quote:

I know what you meant when you said "It's not like a war zone" these are all good helpful and talented guys and we don't need the bull pucky here. Don't tell Steven or Ted I called them talented.....

Too late Ken, I'm going to print your quote and frame it!!!!

(on a serious note, good luck with your boat.)
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:48 AM   #20

Gidday Ken. I typed this before, but 'lost' it due to my own incompetence, no doubt ... .

Quote:
Yeh Zig, Got to pace myself. Just 'cos I'm 210 ad 6'2" doesn't mean the body isn't getting older.
Couple of times yesterday I wondered what the hell I was doing as I gasped for air.

< Watch out for that breathlessness, mate. Have it checked out ... >

Hey King John.. Welcome aboard, good to have you around, as you can see we have a couple of Ozzies and a couple of Poms to keep these yanks in place..

< Thank you, kind Sir >

< The other sites are the same as here. One can just discuss our gear, our problems, our photos - without it becoming WW III .>

Take care Ken. You can do without another injury in the family ...

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .
John King is offline   Reply With Quote