Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:19 PM   #1

Default Fall color in TX

Went to the state park and tried to search for some nice fall color. But this is the best that I could find.
Attached Images

jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobt View Post
Went to the state park and tried to search for some nice fall color. But this is the best that I could find.
Hi Jacob,

I personally, love the image as it shows a very hardy a tree growing out of what appears to be sheer rock.
I may have cropped it a bit, but that's just personal preference..
Zig.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:54 AM   #3

I like it a lot for the same reason Zig does. Personally I wouldn't crop it very much (maybe a little) because it's good to have some of the surrounding context that shows how hard it was for that tree to hold on to life.

What I would do, though, is crank in some Vibrance in ACR. But that's because when I look at landscapes, in my mind I personally tend to "see" them with more vibrant colors than I ever get from a digital photo on a computer monitor. Maybe that's because the colors you get from a Kodachrome slide projected on a good screen thru a good projector are just better and I'm remembering them.

Or maybe it's just that back in the days when I had a darkroom I inhaled too much of the Kodak developing and fixing agent fumes. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

Anyway, I'd love to see this image run through ACR with the Vibrance slider moved up.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
.................................................. ........................
Anyway, I'd love to see this image run through ACR with the Vibrance slider moved up.

Ted
Kinda agree with Ted. (I know, that's unusual.)
I don't have ACR, but I just did a couple of adjustment clicks with one of my freebie programs to adjust to my preferences. (Did it on a quick pass with my laptop, so it may not be the same as seen on a desktop monitor.)
Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:48 AM   #5

Hey, this is fun...!

Can I play...?

Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:47 PM   #6

Well I was going to ask jacobt's permission, but apparently everyone decided, "Permission? We don't need no stinkin' permission."

Ted
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Well I was going to ask jacobt's permission, but apparently everyone decided, "Permission? We don't need no stinkin' permission."

Ted

Hey Ted: didn't you state one time that i's easier to ask forgiveness than permission?? LOL
(If Jacob objects we can all delete, but it was pretty fun while it lasted.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hey Ted: didn't you state one time that i's easier to ask forgiveness than permission?? LOL
(If Jacob objects we can all delete, but it was pretty fun while it lasted.)
I did, and I was OK with this until you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Kinda agree with Ted.
Then I knew something has gone terribly wrong. I just haven't figured out what, yet. Because you folks tweaked his photo whe same way I would have, I'm really struggling to understand what transpired here.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Nov 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:08 PM   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is getting really fun now. I made some modification according the the majority rules. It is much better now.
Attached Images

Last edited by jacobt; Nov 27, 2010 at 9:13 PM.
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobt View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. This is getting really fun now. I made some modification according the the majority rules. It is much better now.
I thought it was interesting that everyone had pretty much the same idea. I would have liked it even more if you could have levitated yourself up about 50' to get more separation between that tree and the greenery behind it, but I guess you haven't learned that photographic technique yet.

I wanted to mention that Scott Kelby was (and may still be) doing a day-long class in various cities, called "Photoshop for Digital Photographers". (Greg Chappell attended it and said it was good so I attended it also.) The class started with his recommendation of seven steps in ACR to get a good photo from a RAW file. His 5th step is to crank up the Clarity and Vibrance sliders. He stated that he normally adds 25 to 50 of clarity and at least 12 of Vibrance. He notes that unlike the Saturation slider which makes everything more vibrant (and in my experience actually changes the colors), the Vibrance slider only adds vibrance to the colors that are too dull, not the ones that are already vibrant.

Ted

PS: In most forums there are at least a few folks who get very, very offended if someone edits a photo they post (one guy even has a statement about that in his signature). I think people here would say that those folks need to get a life.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Nov 28, 2010 at 6:02 AM.