Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:55 PM   #1

Default snowy video and photos with the e-520

I've just finished making my little film of the cold spell here in the uk, its -18c. ! yikes.
Anyway as ever the e-520 worked a treat really, and the camcorder worked ok but.. how come none of the mid range olympus offer the video feature? and now they are saying its the end of 4/3? It just seems crazy. I know, i know loads of people think its a gimmick but a few like me don't. And a recent window shop in jessops shows that loads of the other models by the other makes have hd video in the 400 price range. I know the pen does but you'd think there'd be a 620 type model that offered video.
The panasonics do and they are in that price range... Its HALF tempting because then I'd only need one camera and could still use my oly lens. But I'd like to stay oly. for a start off it feels twice as well built as the panasonic g whatever. the e-5 seems to work brill but its not really the mass market product that the others cater to...
Anyone curious about how the e-520 worked at that temp , can check out my video of photos (if that makes sense) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XisShWRtF8Y

By the way would I still be welcome here with a panosonic body but an oly lens? only kidding I've got no money .
al
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:13 PM   #2

...hi Alex,

Thank you for sharing this, I totally enjoyed watching it..... the scenery is absolutely beautiful and the 'freeze frame' photos are marvelously presented.

I recommend the forum participants all see your work here.

well done,
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:33 PM   #3

Hi, Alex

I'm with Bob - I thoroughly enjoyed your video (particularly the pheasant) but watching you shiver was painful.

You do know that there is a lot of clothing out there that will keep you warm, right? Flannel-lined jeans and boots with a felt lining are a good start.

Anyway, thanks!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:53 PM   #4

What an extreme well done video! You're a good presenter! I think I prefer Wales in the summer and fall, though.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:26 PM   #5

Alex, every video that I have seen of yours has been outstanding. You really do a good job on those. Hope the weather warms up significantly before you shoot the next one.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:03 AM   #6

Thanks everyone, glad you liked looking at it... weirdly I really enjoyed making it. We get snow every winter in mid wales but I don't remember it ever colder than this.
You know how you always think "it was colder than this when I was a kid etc etc" .
Well not this year!
thanks
Alex
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs View Post
I've just finished making my little film of the cold spell here in the uk, its -18c. ! yikes.
Anyway as ever the e-520 worked a treat really, and the camcorder worked ok but.. how come none of the mid range olympus offer the video feature? and now they are saying its the end of 4/3? It just seems crazy. I know, i know loads of people think its a gimmick but a few like me don't. And a recent window shop in jessops shows that loads of the other models by the other makes have hd video in the 400 price range. I know the pen does but you'd think there'd be a 620 type model that offered video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XisShWRtF8Y

By the way would I still be welcome here with a panosonic body but an oly lens? only kidding I've got no money .
al
Hi Alex,

Thanks for sharing.

And, as far as your question on video is concerned, I was one in the group of folks who really didn't care about video in my camera. Until I got the E-PL1. The video capabilities of this camera are really something. It's easy to use, the quality, IMHO, is very good, the cost of the E-PL1 wont break the bank and best of all, you can continue to use Olympus four thirds lenses.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote