Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   Another legacy lens (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr/181106-another-legacy-lens.html)

gjtoth Dec 7, 2010 8:46 PM

Another legacy lens

I received a MD Rokkor-X 1:1.7 50mm from an auction I won. It's a Minolta, of course, and I've got the adapter. The verdict is out as some test shots are rather unimpressive. I only paid $11.50 (shipping included) for it so I'm not out a whole lot if I find I can work with it. Anyone got any experience with this one?

zig-123 Dec 7, 2010 8:53 PM

hi Gary,

I do not own the Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.7 lens. But, I've read a fair amount about Minolta lenses in general. The best site, I know of, is; Rokkorfiles.com.

Here is a link to the history of Rokkor lenses and the different versions of lenses that were made.
/www.rokkorfiles.com/Lens%20History.html

Greg Chappell Dec 7, 2010 9:33 PM

I cannot accurately manually focus a lick using the screens on these DSLR's....even with the nicer E30 finder or even nicer E1 finder so I've never bothered with adapters and manual focus lenses.

The E-PL1 though with the VF-2 eyelevel finder, that's another story...

jelow1966 Dec 8, 2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Chappell (Post 1175832)
I cannot accurately manually focus a lick using the screens on these DSLR's....even with the nicer E30 finder or even nicer E1 finder so I've never bothered with adapters and manual focus lenses.

The E-PL1 though with the VF-2 eyelevel finder, that's another story...

Interesting, might have to look into a Pen series camera. I have better luck with the E-1 than anything else but w/o an AF confirm chip it is still very hit and miss for anything but macro.

John

zig-123 Dec 8, 2010 5:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelow1966 (Post 1175859)
Interesting, might have to look into a Pen series camera. I have better luck with the E-1 than anything else but w/o an AF confirm chip it is still very hit and miss for anything but macro.

John

Joh,
As I also own the E-30 and now the E-PL1, I can comfortably sit here and confirm that Greg is right. The big advantage of the E-PL1 is the VF--2 viewfinder. As the subject comes into focus, it begins to almost glow or shine.
Charles had a better term for it in a previous thread which escapes me now.

Even though I own a fair amount of older lenses, I had all but given up using them with any Oly dslr. With the E-PL1, I just picked up a Rokkor 50mm 1.4 lens and am having a bit of fun with it. I've placed orders for a Konica Hexanon and OM Zuiko adapters and hope to use some of those lenses that have been sitting on the shelf.

Zig

turbines Dec 8, 2010 7:13 AM

I have the Minolta 45 f2, 50 f1.7 and 50 f1.4. The 50 f1.7 is nearly as sharp as the f1.4 version and much lighter. I like the size of the 45 but will be ditching it because like the popular Konica 40 f1.8 it's just not very sharp unless stopped down quite a bit. I only use my legacy glass now with m4/3 and the EVF. I just can't seem to make any MF work consistently well with my E-620.