Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Glad to hear it. I don't have the Raynox myself.

You might find the vignetting goes away at the long end ...
Nothing will stop it at the short end. Like my 7~14 - I have to watch out not to get my toes in the piccies, just about. With the 8mm FE, the latter is almost a certainty .
Nope... Long end is not AS bad but still pretty nasty.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
It's going to take a little getting-used-to but it should work out GREAT for the upcoming wedding shoot.

Just playing with it a little, tells me this lens will be outstanding for my rose/flower images. It seems it doesn't seem to play well with black velvet, though. I'll need some practice with that aspect of it.
Good to hear.
Mine is someware between MISSISSAUGA and Calgary
Should be here by Tues or Wed.
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:48 PM   #13

Default Raynox 250 and 40~150?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Nope... Long end is not AS bad but still pretty nasty.
Either version of the 40~150?

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .
John King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:50 PM   #14

Congrats on the lens, Gary.

I'll just be content to sit here and envy all you guys with the great lens!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post

Hi Steven,

I don't know about your needing to envy anyone here, as you do quite nicely photographing those large subjects found in your neck of the woods with the current lenses you have.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:03 PM   #16

Quote:

Geeez, Steve, I only have 3. What I've been doing is clearing out stuff that's been sitting in my closet and selling it on eBay or Craigslist. You'd be astounded at how much stuff you don't use, how much you can make, and that people will buy almost anything. Give it a whirl!
My Gallery

--
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Steven,

I don't know about your needing to envy anyone here, as you do quite nicely photographing those large subjects found in your neck of the woods with the current lenses you have.

Amen!
My Gallery

--
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:18 PM   #18

Default Critical focusing ...

Gidday Steven

Quote:

I've got a bucket load of lenses, and another bucket load of OM mount legacy lenses, and another bucket load of bodies. More than any sane person could reasonably wish for (very bad case of GAS ... my next lens is going to be an Epson R3880 printer, lol).

I still reckon that some of the best piccies I have ever taken have been with my E-510 and the two kit lenses (in 50+ years ... ). I still have all four of my kit lenses, and use them all.

So don't feel left out for an instant, mate.

Always remember that better glass is better; and costs 80% more for 10% better ... practising your focusing technique so that you get critically sharp focus will get you 500% better images for not one red cent! .

Just IMHO.

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .

Last edited by John King; Dec 10, 2010 at 9:19 PM. Reason: spelling ... doh!
John King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 2:22 PM   #19

Hey Garry

Congrats on the new lens! Its a cracking piece of glass. When mine arrived via the US I was grinning like a chesire cat as soon as it was out of the box.

Some comments on the 14-54 by Sean Reid as part of his E1 review over at luminous Landscapes:

"Comparing the OM 24/2.8 at F/4 to the 14-54 (set to 24mm at F/4), the latter lens was once again the better performer. The strong difference was in the corners where the 24 got soft and the 14-54 stayed sharp. The latter lens was also sharper overall than the 24/2.8."

"Comparing the Zeiss 18/4 wide open to the 14-54 (set to 18mm at F/4), the latter lens actually performed better on the E-1. One of the most difficult things for a lens to do is to perform well in the corners at or near its maximum aperture. The Zeiss, which of course was designed for 35mm film, gets soft in the corners at F/4 when used with the E-1. The 14-54, on the other hand, held its sharpness right out to the corners."

"Iíve tried two samples of the 14-54mm so far and both samples, in my mind, measured up to the various Canon L zoom lenses Iíve owned, such as the 24-70 or 16-35"

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/e1-2nd.shtml

Harj

n the 24/2.8
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 2:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Garry

Congrats on the new lens! Its a cracking piece of glass. When mine arrived via the US I was grinning like a chesire cat as soon as it was out of the box.

Some comments on the 14-54 by Sean Reid as part of his E1 review over at luminous Landscapes:

"Comparing the OM 24/2.8 at F/4 to the 14-54 (set to 24mm at F/4), the latter lens was once again the better performer. The strong difference was in the corners where the 24 got soft and the 14-54 stayed sharp. The latter lens was also sharper overall than the 24/2.8."

"Comparing the Zeiss 18/4 wide open to the 14-54 (set to 18mm at F/4), the latter lens actually performed better on the E-1. One of the most difficult things for a lens to do is to perform well in the corners at or near its maximum aperture. The Zeiss, which of course was designed for 35mm film, gets soft in the corners at F/4 when used with the E-1. The 14-54, on the other hand, held its sharpness right out to the corners."

"Iíve tried two samples of the 14-54mm so far and both samples, in my mind, measured up to the various Canon L zoom lenses Iíve owned, such as the 24-70 or 16-35"

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/e1-2nd.shtml

Harj
n the 24/2.8
Thanks, Harj. I've been playing with it somewhat today and I must say it IS everything it's been reputed to be.
My Gallery

--