Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:49 AM   #21

Zig, not trying to talk you out of FF but did you every try QIMAGE, I have been using it for printing for 6 yrs. The enlarging algorithms in this program are absolutely amazing I have yet to print any thing larger than 13x19 with it but have done some serious crops then printed large & the quality is indiscernible between a 4x6 & 13x19. The program is well know in the professional printing community but not some much on a consumer level, because its interface is more business oriented rather than consumer oriented. It has a slight learning curve, if you want to use all the editing options available in the program but if you use it just for printing it can be learned in a morning with a good pot of coffee.

another thing I have been watching very closely is something invented by a professor at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, it is called the Gigapan. its a robotic controlled panorama maker & can turn almost any camera into a multi gigapixel machine. there are currently 3 models available for different weight capacities. The middle model I have been watching very closely because it can handle most Olympus cameras with modest lenses. The product website is gigapansystems.com there are some other websites associated with the college & researches using this device also if you do a little searching. the only problem here is if your subject moves it is totally ineffective.
Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Dec 17, 2010 at 8:52 AM.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Zig, not trying to talk you out of FF but did you every try QIMAGE, I have been using it for printing for 6 yrs. The enlarging algorithms in this program are absolutely amazing I have yet to print any thing larger than 13x19 with it but have done some serious crops then printed large & the quality is indiscernible between a 4x6 & 13x19. The program is well know in the professional printing community but not some much on a consumer level, because its interface is more business oriented rather than consumer oriented. It has a slight learning curve, if you want to use all the editing options available in the program but if you use it just for printing it can be learned in a morning with a good pot of coffee.

another thing I have been watching very closely is something invented by a professor at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, it is called the Gigapan. its a robotic controlled panorama maker & can turn almost any camera into a multi gigapixel machine. there are currently 3 models available for different weight capacities. The middle model I have been watching very closely because it can handle most Olympus cameras with modest lenses. The product website is gigapansystems.com there are some other websites associated with the collage & researches using this device also if you do a little searching. the only problem here is if your subject moves it is totally ineffective.
Charles

Hi Charles,

Please, do talk me out of buying a FF camera! I'd rather buy another Oly lens, frankly.

As for Qimage, I do believe I may have read something about it here on this forum. In fact, did you not post something about that sometime ago? i'll have to look into it.

The software enlarging plug-in that I use is Genuine Fractals. I believe it's the 6.0 version. It does work well and I use it regularly. However, in low light situations, the noise gets tricky and I spend a fair amount of time up front, working on noise reduction. I say tricky because if I'm too heavy handed on the noise reduction, when I go to enlarging the image, it also magnifies the noise reduction- which makes a fair amount of the image smeared or not in focus. The largest print that I've printed to date was a panorama at 13 x 36.
It came out great. BUT, it wasn't a low light situation so that noise reduction wasn't a factor.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:16 AM   #23

yes I think I did mention qimage before to you, it does not get a lot of press because of its non fancy interface, but has better enlarging algorithms than anything out there including $2500-$6000 raster image programs (R.I.P.), the color management is also top of the tier. I use it with 5 epson printers & it easily supercharges the printers to 720dpi vs. the 300dpi(more than double the printed resolution) you get from just about any other printing program. it also has the best layout performance & options, I have tried for doing portrait packages.
Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Dec 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:58 PM   #24

Hi Charles,

Just went to QImage's website and immediately remembered why I didn't pursue it.

It's a Windows only based program.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:11 AM   #25

Zig, yeah I got to wondering if you had windows installed on your mac. Mike had tried a long in vain attempt at making a mac version, but due to steve jobs' dictatorship way of running his company, Mike decided it was not worth the effort. This is the main reason I have stayed away from apple products all these years, because if I spend the money on a product, no one is going to tell me what I can or cannot do with that product. If apple was the only computer platform out there, the government would have broken up steve jobs' monopolizing ideals long ago.

It's ashame though Zig, because if I had to run my portrait business on 1 piece of software it would be Qimage. the way it takes over & drives the printers is simply astounding. I never have to worry about sharpening, color management, printer settings or speed it all just happens effortlessly. Unfortunately I cannot show you this via internet means.
Charles

i